Monday, November 16, 2020

More Kindness, Anyone???

 

In my last post I wrote about kindness and again today I was reminded just how important kindness can be…sometimes it can make more difference in a person’s life than we can imagine.  I will explain as best I can.

 


Recently it was brought to the attention of myself and my Sunday School class that a young mother had moved into town with two young children, a son age 5 and a daughter age 7.  (We live in a small town and much doesn’t happen without a lot of people knowing it!!!)  This family’s story is literally one of the saddest I have ever heard…and with my many years of teaching young children I have known a LOT of sad stories.

 

I won’t go into details because it’s not really my story to tell in such a public forum, but I will tell you that I had the opportunity to visit this mother at her home today and in all my life I have never been that close to so much poverty.  My family didn’t have a lot of money when I was growing up, but today I realized that we were RICH in comparison to this family and many others.  After we left, I found myself in tears and all day I have been thinking that as often as I thank God for all I’ve been blessed with, it’s not been enough. 

 

As I talked with the mother (along with a counselor from the school), she was very gracious and very accepting of the help that has been offered.  The school will see that the family has a Thanksgiving dinner, and my Sunday School class plans to make sure that the children will have a special Christmas with toys and new clothes😊 

 


I have no doubts that God was in control of this whole situation today.  I had been trying (unsuccessfully) to get in touch with the mother, and on a whim this morning decided to call the school counselor.  I explained my situation and she said, “I was just about to leave the school to make a home visit to this mother…you can go along.”  WOW!!!  Sometimes God just shows up and shows out…sometimes he just makes a path for us when we don’t see one on our own.  Thank you, God.


Kindness…some people need it more than we can imagine.  So…share a smile and a “thank you” with the tired lady at the checkout counter who may have been on her feet for hours; send a card to a shut-in or someone sick or grieving; bake some cookies for a neighbor who is missing their family; write a letter to a past teacher or mentor telling them how much you appreciate what they taught you; put an extra dollar in the tip jar…add your own ideas to the list!

 

And remember to always be grateful for every single blessing!




 

 

18 comments:

  1. I so agree....and especially at this time of year. I never knew poverty personally, but many of my students lived in severe poverty and sadness and sometimes giving them an old quilt or pillow just made such a difference in their lives....many don't understand this unless you see it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, like you I had many students who came from poverty. My husband and I have supplied everything from underwear to food to a used refrigerator. I don't know a single teacher who has not given out of her pocket to care for her students. It's just what we do and we do it happily, don't we? And yes, I think you have to somehow be directly involved or you truly can't understand it. Thank you for all you did for children.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful story and reminder to reach out to those in need, especially at this time of year, but it shouldn't stop there. Praying God will bless this family with things that they really need most. He knows exactly what that is. Thank you for sharing this with us. Makes me want to pay more attention around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I wish I could share her story but thought I shouldn't. However, it is a story that has touched me to the depths of my heart and I won't ever forget it. For one thing, this mother has lost two children. Having lost one myself, I can't even let my thoughts go to losing two. I too pray that this family will somehow find their way out of their situation and into a better life.

      Delete
  3. baby boomers are going to get abused and treated like garbage in the retirement homes. Maybe you boomers shouldn't have been so selfish and arrogant and greedy. Literally everyone hates baby boomers now. Enjoy those retirement homes, and good luck, boomers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started to delete your rude comment. Evidently you are not brave enough to share your name. I decided though I would comment. I am a "baby boomer" but never in my life have I been selfish or greedy...well, maybe when I was a child and didn't want to share my lollipop with my brother! Anyone who knows me will tell you I don't have an arrogant bone in my body. I actually don't understand your comment at all. If you look at history, however, every generation blames the one before them and/or the one after them. Every generation is guilty of something, and I feel sure every generation ahead will be also. I can assure my generation never taught our children (and now our grandchildren) to riot in the streets and loot and steal from stores owned by people like me who are just trying to make a living. Our generation did not teach this generation to be unaccepting of each other's political or religious beliefs. No one in my generation that I know personally has ever been racist or filled with hatred. I also disagree with your statement that everybody hates baby boomers. Everyone I know personally in my generation has worked hard to get an education then a career in order to support themselves and their families. I don't know who you are but I pray that whatever has led you to this belief will somehow turn full circle and you will find in your heart to love and embrace every generation because every generation in the past and every generation in he future will have good and bad. The hatred and/or anger you seem to have in your heart will only hurt you in the long run. I hope you will come back to visit my blog and that you will share your name and help us to better understand who you are and where you are coming from. I am always willing to listen to others and share with them concerning our varying opinions. People can and should be able to voice their own beliefs without fear of hatred and rudeness from others with different ideas. May God bless you.

      Delete
  4. Hi Cheri. I read a similar comment like 'anonymous' a few months ago. Not sure if they are just trying to get a rise out of sweet bloggers like yourself. You had a great response. Anger and hatred hurts the perpetrator. I agree each generation is guilty of something. No one is perfect but, if we're smart, we keep trying to do better. Bless you. Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Patty. I was shocked by the comment and still don't quite understand where he/she is coming from. But it's their problem and I do hope they find it in their heart to be more kind toward others.

      Delete
  5. A wonderful post ...
    I think even more so this year so many families are struggling, and anything we can do to help others just makes so much sense.

    Blessings to you Cheri.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I agree. I think now more than ever many families are struggling. And if we shut down again I fear it's going to get even worse. I send up prayers every day!!!

      Delete
  6. That post just broke my heart. So many in need. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving as i know your heart will be filled with the kindness you are showing this family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Latane. Wishing you and yours a very Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving as well.

      Delete
  7. A wonderful story to share. Being kind is something we can and should do.
    I've gotten that comment(I just delete them) before too and have seen it on many blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me know that! I wonder who is so "unkind" to do that!!!

      Delete
  8. Cheri- You were meant to be there at just that appointed moment in time. I have always, always told my grands to BE KIND-especially to other kids -even the mean ones because they are that way for a reason.
    Blessings to you and that family. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Diana...we must teach our kids and grandkids to be kind. I always encourage mine to reach out to the unreachable. It's hard when you are a teen, but my grandson did recently pick up a kid of another race who was walking to school. He didn't know her but just wanted to help her out. So proud of him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet, sweet story and especially right here at Thanksgiving. I'm so glad God opened this door of ministry for you. I know you were a real blessing in this families lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea, it really was as if He opened a door. Definitely a "God Wink" moment:)

      Delete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!