Tuesday, November 10, 2020

KINDNESS COUNTS


William Thackery once wrote: 


 I think  that’s good advice.  But even more importantly the Bible tells us:


I’ve thought a lot about kind words this week, but I’ve also just thought a lot about kindness in recent months.  I’ve been distressed as I've seen grown (supposedly intelligent and Christian) men spew anything but kind words from their mouths for the whole world to hear.   I’ve seen people (supposedly good citizens) riot and protest illegally in the streets and break into stores to steal anything from big screen TVs to designer purses…something they really need, right?)  I’ve seen kindness obliterated in front of my very eyes, it seems.

 

Of course, I do believe there are still a lot of kind people out there, but do we sincerely give enough thought to being kind to our families, our friends, and even strangers?  Do we strive to find ways to be kind , or do we just wait for an opportunity to show up and then say a few words and think we’ve reached our kindness quota  for the day? 

 



 

I feel sure I miss opportunities to be kind; and I know I don’t always go out of my way to show kindness to others.  But this subject really has been on my mind a lot lately.  In the last few months I have experienced the deaths of 15 people that I have had some type of relationship with…some closer than others.  I have seen the brokenness of the families and their need for  kind words and gestures of kindness.  I have sent cards; I have taken food; I’ve tried to be kind, but I’m sure there is more I can do.

 


Did you know that kindness has power?  Did you know that the effects of kindness have actually been studied by scientists, psychologists, and others?  Mr. Google can tell you all about this; but just to get you started, here are a few things researchers have proven:

 

* Happiness researcher Sean Achor demonstrated through his extensive research that if you perform random acts of kindness for two minutes a day for twenty-one days, you can actually retrain your brain to be more positive.  (Who couldn’t use more positivity in their life?)

 

*Kindness has been found by researchers to be the most important predictor of satisfaction and stability in a marriage.  (I'm so thankful for my kind husband...he's so good about telling me thank you and saying other kind things.)

 

*Kindness begets kindness.  According to Emily E. Smith in an article on www.theatlantic.com:  “A great deal of evidence shows that the more someone receives or witnesses kindness, the more they will be kind themselves, which leads to upward spirals of love and generosity in a relationship.” 



I’ve had a lot on my mind this last week (not happy about the election, but I won’t get into that!)…mostly just some sad things concerning friends and family members.  So, I guess God knew I needed a few kind words myself…and He sent them to me through two sweet people.  I just have to share with you…I’m kind like that you know!!!

 

First, l-o-n-g story short…I had sent a facebook message to a childhood friend, Brenda, that I reconnected with a couple years ago.  Have only seen her maybe 3 times since we were 12 since I moved away at that age.  I was looking for some information on someone from our original hometown and I knew she would be able to tell me exactly what I needed.  Anywho…a little while after we finished messaging back & forth and the conversation had ended, I heard my MESSANGER THINGIE  (my technical term for something when I don’t know what to call it!) ding.  It was Brenda, and this is what she wrote:

        I remember how sad I was when you left (our hometown).  If you had stayed, I would have been a better teenager.  Anyway, I have always loved you as my first best friend.”

Words can’t express how special that message was and still is to me.  I will cherish it always.



 

Then today I yet again heard my MESSENGER THINGIE ding!  It was a former second grade student that I taught in 1981/82.  She told me a little about herself but this is the part I want to share with you:

        Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate all that you did for me.  I turned out to be a good kid and an even better adult.  …I know that all the little bits and pieces I received in my younger years contributed immensely.  I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and that all our 2021 is better than our 2020.”    Love, Beverly

Note:  Sadly I don’t remember all my students (I don’t have enough brain cells for that), but I do remember Beverly.  She was a very sweet child.

 

These kind words by my friend Brenda and my student Beverly didn’t cost a thing but a few moments of their time, and yet they brought me more pleasure and happiness than if they had sent me a dozen red roses or a big box of chocolates (if you knew me and my love for chocolate you would realize what a statement I just made!!!)

 


My goal in the coming weeks and months (and hopefully years) is to spread a little more kindness.  There are so many ways we can do this…from a simple smile and a thank you to the gal at the grocery checkout to something a little more industrious like baking a cake for a shut-in (for me that would be hugely industrious!)

 

From what all those experts (with all their zillions of brain cells) tell us…kindness is like a disease; it’s contagious.  So let’s go out and spread it!



16 comments:

  1. Oh we sure need kind words. I love getting a message of kindness and giving them as well. I pray that our Nation can stop with all the "meanness", that's what my Mama would have called it. Let's be kind, I agree it is needed. Sending HUGS and PRAYERS your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mama was right...it's just plan meanness!

      Delete
  2. You are so right. A kind word can make your day, whereas a mean or thoughtless one can certainly ruin it. And it's a command from the Lord Himself: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you ... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found out about a family today that is in need of a LOT of kindness, so I'm getting to work on it:) Trying to do God's will!!!

      Delete
  3. THANK YOU FOR THIS POST. Kindness has been on my mind a lot since this 'covid' crisis. I've gifted many quilts to non sewers this year and the response was so nice. It's easy to be kind to those we know and love so I jumped at the opportunity to donate quilts to families who lost homes in the fires out west. No recognition but I don't need that. Just need to know I'm trying my best to be kind even to strangers. Also, I had an acquaintance call me after the election. She knew I was a Trump supporter and she a Biden supporter. She wanted to see my response to the election. With kindness, I said it doesn't matter if Trump lost. God is still on the throne and prayer changes things. Hopefully, Biden is the Christian he professes to be and then the Lord will use him. I truly mean it. The Lord can work thru any that submit to Him. Bless you. Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, thank you SO much for dropping by. And thank you for your kindness to others...I know all appreciated your quilts but more importantly your kindness and caring. Thankful too you and your friend were willing to share election results in the way we all should. A friend told me yesterday about how one of her very best friends is now not speaking to her because she (my friend) voted for Trump. Guess it was a one-sided friendship because true friends just don't act that way. It's sad. Like you I will be walking with God through it all, knowing that He is on His throne and He's the REAL one in control.

      Delete
  4. Growing up we used to hear that saying Cash is king all the time, but I think it should be kindness is king!! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unfortunately CASH seems to rule the world:( But a little kindness sure can go a long way, can't it:)

      Delete
  5. We all need kindness in these times! Kindness and grace is what I remind my teachers and parents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon, I assume from your comment you are in administration:) So thankful you remind your teachers of this. I taught for many years with many kind teachers, but along the way there were those who were anything but kind and I could never understand why they were in education! Children, especially, need our kindness and understanding, along with the right kind of discipline and instruction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am a principal at a Pre-K-6 school. I am planning to retire at the end of this school year and am super excited!

      Delete
  7. This was the "kindest" post I have read in a long while, and I needed it. Thank you. Sometimes we just forget to go out of our way to be kind. I think we've become too impersonal in our relationships because many are through the media of social media and we don't have to see each other face to face and live with the everyday nitty gritty of relationships. But when someone goes out of their way to do something kind for me I know how much I appreciate it...a simple card in the mail or a phone call...a word of thanks for something I might have said that helped them...those are things that mean so much and I need to be more adept at doing the same. So thank you for this reminder. We need to be kind, even to those with whom we may disagree during this heated time of election, etc. I have relatives that I have been avoiding for a while because of our differing opinions and their sharp tongues about it. Maybe I may need to extend the olive branch even though I am on the "losing side" of the picture. Yes, that would be the right thing to do, and I thank you for being a kind reminder today. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thank you so much for this sweet comment. Every single word rings so true. I was reminded again today just how important kindness is.

      Delete
  8. Kindness is just the best thing isn't it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, it certainly ranks high on the list. After all, it is one of the Fruits of the Spirit:) If only each person would use a little more kindness, what a change we could make in the world!

      Delete
  9. Oh girl, I do not know how I missed this post. Kindness! YES....kindness. You know Cheri, it cost NOTHING and yet...means so very much. Sweet kind friend I hope that you have a wonderful week. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!