Tuesday, November 3, 2020

ART is in My HEART

 

 

*Note:  this post is actually just a page for my journal, but you are welcome to read if you care to😊

 

Sometimes in life you get to experience moments that are so fulfilling that you can almost feel your heart swell with emotion.  I had an experience like that today, and I am so very thankful for it.


(Background info)  Years ago my granddaughter (now 14 and very artistic) would often say to me, “Cheri, I wish we had ART in school.”  We had had a wonderful ART program at one time, but it was cut years and years ago when the government cut back on school funding.  I guess this sweet girl “planted a seed” because about two years ago I began (finally) on a quest to try and get a Visual ARTS program put back into our high school and middle school.  I won’t go into all the details, but let’s just say I really put in a lot of hours with research and gathering support.  My final leg was to present my findings to the Board of Education.  And, long story short, my granddaughter’s wish came true! 



So now, let me tell you about my day.  We have an awesome ART teacher who asked me if I would come to the high school today and meet with some various groups of students to help them complete a performance standard.  Each group shared about their upcoming project; and although I really know zilch about ART, I was even able to give some of them suggestions that they really latched onto.  (Made me happy!)

As I looked around the classroom I was able to see their artwork, and it was absolutely amazing!  .  I knew there had to be a lot of talent among our student body, but I had no idea just how much talent there really was.  I very much enjoyed seeing so many wonderful finished products, but even more so I enjoyed the conversations I was able to participate in.



As I sat and talked with the students and listened to them, I actually had to hold back the tears.  Each and every one of them told me how thrilled they were to have this class, and how much they LOVED it!  One of the things that really touched me the most was that several of the students told me that they had discovered within themselves talents and creativity they had no idea was there.  This class and the wonderful teacher helped them find that talent, and now they are developing it.  I couldn’t help but think, “Look at the talent that would have been lost had not this ART class and their loving teacher shown them just what they were capable of.”


(Granddaughter & 2 of her besties in Art Class)


As much as I cherished every single comment, there was one that really got me!  One of the students was a young man with long hair that hung over his glasses; I could just tell from our conversation that he was a rather shy kid and that he was just a creative soul with ideas that were not your run-of-the-mill, usual teenage ideas.  I asked him if he liked the class and he told me very emphatically that he loved it.  Then I asked him what was the best thing about the class and he replied, “It lets me be me.”  That’s when I really had to bite my tongue to keep from crying because this is what I had hoped for.   




Many have told me “thank you” for all that I did to help get this program up and running, but I give all the glory to God because I prayed that He would guide me each step of the way and that He would help me find a way.  And I also give much thanks to our high school principal who could have shut me down when I first approached him.  He could have told me there just wasn’t enough money, or there wasn’t space, or there wasn’t a place in the curriculum for ART; but he didn’t shut the door.  He not only listened; he also supported me and my efforts.  I also have to say thanks to a friend and fellow retired teacher, Nancy, who was willing to help with some of the leg work and who gave me the encouragement I needed.


          (Granddaughter's first landscape)

 

Phylicia Rashad once said:  “Before a child talks, they sing.  Before they write, they draw.  As soon as they stand, they dance.  ART is fundamental to human expression.”      

I am so very thankful that now many of our students (including my precious granddaughter who started it all) are being given the opportunity to express themselves and find within themselves the love and joy of creativity.

 



 

 

 


17 comments:

  1. Your granddaughters landscape is beautiful.
    How wonderful that you were able to get the art class back in school. What a blessing you are to all those kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This has all meant more to me than I can express.

      Delete
  2. Your Granddaughter is so talented! I'm really happy they have art class. I think art and music are essentials for school children. You did a great thing and I always think that it really just takes one person to make a difference. We can be the "one" when we put ourselves last and the cause first. Out of small things great things can happen. Congrats to all the lucky kiddos who now can be themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaya, I love this comment!!!! I'm sure there are times when most people feel their feelings, thoughts, or actions won't make a difference...but as you said one person CAN make a difference. I feel very blessed that I was God's instrument in helping all this come together:)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! Congratulations on your initial successes and all of the ones that are sure to follow. I contend that a creative outlet is necessary for life to be bearable. Kudos to you and all those who made this worthy project happen. And your granddaughter is already a great artist. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. I so agree with what you said about having a creative outlet! I am in no way an "artist", but I love to create with my writing and various paper crafts and even with cooking and decorating our home. I believe that within each of us there is creativity. It just takes a belief in ourselves and sometimes a little push from someone else:)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE art but I think you all know that about me so I think it is really awesome that you rallied for art to be back in the school. GREAT JOB. And let me also say that your granddaughters work is AMAZING! She has a great talent. I am so glad you pushed for ART. She needs that. Once she is out of school maybe she can find a class to join like at one of Hobby/Craft Stores....I did two paintings in school. Then nothing again till I was 42, that is when I learned I really could paint!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...42??? Lotta years without your talent in the world, but thankfully you rediscovered it:) I so wish all schools could have art because I believe there is art inside us all in one form or another.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness Cheri! That painting is beautiful! What a talented young lady she is. Oh I know you are so very proud that they have an art program now. How wonderful! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy. We are very proud of our girl. She has God-given talent and loves art so much.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet, sweet journal entry. Blessings abundant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lea. Always nice to have you stop by:)

      Delete
  8. Love that quote...we are all about the arts in the house and the cuts in our schools are just not acceptable. And your granddaughter is quite talented! I can only imagine where her path with take her...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I hope and pray she will stick with it for a lifetime.

      Delete
  9. I've always thought art and music are so important for children and beyond!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with you. I am speaking to our Board of Ed again this week...just trying to keep them abreast of how wonderfully the program is going:)

      Delete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!