Saturday, June 13, 2020

THE TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION


I have debated with myself on whether to post about this because
1.  it’s really, really creepy
2.  some people in this world probably already think I’m c-r-a-z-y 
 and this might seal the deal with them
3.  I’m not sure anyone will believe me

So…are you intrigued????  This really did happen, y’all…honestly!  The details are a little convoluted but I’ll “try” to make it simple.

Back in Feb. hubby and I attended a big high school reunion.  Our school had a very popular “boy band” back in the day and the reunion was put on by them…and extremely well attended I might add.  What a fabulous time we had….but I digress!!!!  (Yep, I tend to do that!) 

Anyway…earlier this week one of my best friends (Jerri from high school) sent me a photo of her and another lady that was taken at the reunion, only Jerri didn’t remember who this gal was!  Jerri has a fabulous memory so why she was asking me (who doesn’t have one!), I have no clue!!!!  The lady had on a nametag which we could clearly see said SUS…but that’s all we could see.

 OK…got it so far???  Well, I can’t stand having an unsolved mystery on my hands so I grabbed my yearbooks off the shelf and began to hunt for any Susans or Susannahs, etc.  And…I came up with two possibilities.  I won’t use their names here but let’s just call them SUSAN #1 and SUSAN #2. I sort of recognized one of the girls, but they were both behind us in school and I really didn't know either one.   (Now, stick with me folks…I promise this will get good momentarily!!!)

Thinking the mystery might be solved I emailed Jerri and gave her the names.  Yep…feeling rather smug at this point…Detective Cheri to the rescue.  (Just so you know, I was wrong on both!!!)

 So…here is the CREEPY part!!!  About 15 or so minutes after sending the email to Jerri, I decided to check out Facebook..gotta know what’s going on out there.  Now if you aren’t on FB (and maybe for a good reason), you may not understand this so let me give a “quick” explanation.  Those of you on FB can skip this part!

Side bar:  On FB sometimes you will get a “FRIEND REQUEST” meaning that person wants to be able to follow you on FB and see your posts.  (Great way of keeping up with old friends.)  HOWEVER….I am pretty sure FB often is the one sending out some of these requests because I’ve gotten requests from people who would never want to follow me (I mean, why would a local teenager want to follow an old lady like me?)


OK…back to my story.  So…I get on FB and the first thing I see is I have a new friend request.  I click on that button and what do I see????  A friend request from SUSAN #1 (one of the gals that I had emailed Jerri about)!     Just in case I haven’t made myself clear…

How did FACEBOOK know that I had just recently emailed this person’s name to my friend????????????????  It was as if someone had read my email!!!!!  Or is there some way FB knows when I type in a name???   I called my son (younger folks know so much more about technology) and he said something (which I didn’t understand) about “algorithms” but then he said, “Mama, Big Brother is out there more than you think.”  Now that REALLY scares me.  He told me to change my FB password which I did!!!!!

Folks, I am not making this stuff up…I’m not THAT creative!  I decided to post about it just to 1. give some food for thought and 2. maybe issue a warning that we all need to be careful and prudent these days about what we put into cyber space.


And just so you know “it’s not just me” with craziness like this….

A good friend recently told me her experience:  she was walking into her kitchen, looking down at her ipad, when all of a sudden this popped up on her screen:  “Watch where you are going.”  Then it quickly disappeared.  Creepy, right?????  And, no she’s not crazy either!!!

Amendment:
After writing this post I emailed my friend in TX and told her all this.  She works for a big oil company and is so smart!  Anyway, she emailed back also saying something about "algorithms" and "artificial intelligence" and sent me this video to watch.  WOW!  WOW!  WOW!  Evidently I've been living in the dark.  You REALLY REALLY need to watch THIS VIDEO!!!!
       

OK, comments, anyone?????

Next thing you know I’ll be posting about little green men landing in my backyard…



15 comments:

  1. That's pretty weird. FB's algorithm does track your online searches. That's why you might suddenly see an ad for a pair of shoes you might have just looked at the day before at an online site. It shouldn't track email correspondence. So, if you were looking up Susan 1 or 2 during your detective work, it might have figured that out. But how that got to the friending thing is a mystery. How about Susan 1 was maybe thinking about the reunion, saw your photo or saw that you commented on a mutual friend's post and thought, "I should friend her." I'm inclined to think that's what happened there and it was just weird timing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, thanks for your thoughts but I think it would have just been too big of a coincidence for "Susan" to have wanted to be my friend right after I typed her name in an email. My theory now is that there is a whole lot we don't know about the technologies we use!!!

      Delete
  2. I know that "big brother" is definitely watching, and it is just going to get worse as time goes by. So yes, we need to be careful what we look at, write about, etc., if we don't want it to come back to haunt us! But, in any case, maybe you made a new friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, I think you are right...unfortunately!!! Sure is scary.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You weren't???? I think I've been living in the dark. Evidently I have missed what's going on in the cyber world. I knew it could track my online shopping and place ads all over everywhere, but I didn't have any idea anything like this could happen!!

      Delete
  4. That's crazy! I have seen ads pop up for something that I had searched on-line. WOW, big brother is watching and I don't really like it. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have known about those ads (think that's what those "cookies" are about), but I never realized how indepth we are tracked!!! If you didn't watch the video I referred to, you really should.

      Delete
  5. This is SO true you are not alone. It seems the same with phones. My husband and I were AT home discussing where we want to eat AFTER we go to the farm. We decided on Panera Bread. We drove to the farm and the minute he turned off the car, his phone piped up and said, 'Rate Panera Bread' Ok this was soooo weird. We hadn't even gone there yet but we talked about it. His phone was listening. Yeah, those Alexia and Google devices are not good to have in the home. They are silent listeners and take everything in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would have freaked me out!!!! A friend from TX just basically told me the same thing that happened to you happened to her awhile back. Makes me paranoid!!!

      Delete
  6. I've had lots of things pop up after I've googled something. The funniest thing that happened to me was when a new surgeon started working and he was a bit difficult to get along with. I was sitting at lunch with some other nurses and I made a statement that I wished he would just go back to Egypt where he came from. About a second later an ad came up on FB for "Egyptian Vanishing Cream"! I laughed so hard but another funny thing happened. He actually turned out to be a good guy and we all love him now so I guess he did vanish in a way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is FUNNY!!!! Yet scary. I had absolutely NO idea that weird things like this happen and that "somebody" is often listening. I have been in the dark for sure!!!!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup. It's scary and it's all out there. We've had so many instances like this...where we just talking about topics that then pop up on our computer. Someone we know works for a very high tech company employed by the government and says nothing is private...they are always "listening"...turn of Siri and never get an Amazon Alexa they told us...creepy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info!!! I don't own Alexa and never use Siri...now I'm really glad. Of course, if anyone wants to listen to my boring life they will stay asleep most of the time!!!

      Delete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!