Tuesday, June 9, 2020

BIRDS OF A FEATHER...


 
I awoke this morning, grabbed my cup of cappuccino, sat in my rocking chair on the porch, and was serenaded by a sweet bird singing its morning song.  Not sure what kind it was because I never actually saw it.  Oh how I love birds!


My husband is an avid bird feeder and keeps our neighborhood birdies fat and sassy!  We enjoy watching the various ones that come to visit our backyard including cardinals, blue jays, doves, buntings, finches, brown thrashers, and we have 3 mischievous woodpeckers. 

Did you know that until not long ago it was believed there were 9000-10,000 species of birds, but recent revelations have doubled this number to an estimated 18,000 with a possibility of more species being discovered in the future.  The U.S. is home to 1107 different species of birds.  That’s a whole lot of feathers!!!!

I was recently researching a bird I had seen and I got giddy intrigued at all the lovely feathered creatures I discovered.  So for this post I thought I’d share with you some of God’s handiwork.  Enjoy!


One of my very favorite birds (which seems to be popular with most people) is the CARDINAL.  We have quite a few that visit our feeders daily.  Of course, the male is the prettiest with it’s bright red feathers….the better to attract lady friends😊  I recently discovered that cardinals do something called “anting.”  They smear their feathers with crushed or living ants!!!  Scientists aren’t sure why but some think it’s to help get rid of lice and other parasites.        Have you ever heard that when you see a Redbird/Cardinal, it means someone in Heaven is thinking about you?  I love that!


We also have bluebirds that build nests in our birdhouses each year, but these birds don’t normally visit feeders.


HUMMINGBIRDS are always popular.  We have two or three each year.  Did you know most weigh less than a nickel? The average man would need to eat around 285 pounds of meat per day if they had the metabolism of a hummingbird.  Wow!

These next birds don't make their way to our neighborhood but sure wish they did!  

AMERICAN  FINCH


BLUE  BIRD  WREN


PAINTED  BUNTING

COLLARED  LORY

I couldn't identify the following birds, but they were just so breathtaking and interesting I wanted to include them.


“I’m feeling a tad grumpy this a.m., but I'm lookin' good!


“So, who hasn’t put on the Corona 15?”


“Just struttin’ my stuff!”

When I first saw this little OWL, I thought “WOW!  Unbelievable!”  After looking at it for several minutes, I realized it’s not real but handmade.  But I thought it was just too cute not to include😊  Oh, the creativity of some people!



And I just had to include this BURMESE JUNGLE FOWL.  Our little town actually has these roaming the neighborhoods and downtown streets.  These elegant birds were imported here many years ago and released into the woods for hunters, but over the years they migrated into the town, and now we are actually famous for them!!!  In fact, we are in the process of building the WORLD’S LARGEST CHICKEN TOPIARY.  Hey!  We all have to make our mark somehow!!!


     God surely does know how to use His paintbrush to make the world beautiful, so tomorrow morning grab a cup of coffee (or cappuccino), venture out on your porch or patio or just stroll around your yard and enjoy the beautiful choir there waiting for you.  



Ok…just had to share one more…not for its beauty but for it’s “unusual” means of providing lunch for itself…and because I thought it was just plain funny….




This is the BASSIAN THRUSH…it “passes gas” to scare worms out of hiding!  Poor worms…they get a double dose of bad luck!





15 comments:

  1. Your post ended with a laugh, love that. But in my wildest imagination, I can not believe the beauty of the birds you have shown us. We have doves, robins, cardinals, blue jays, bluebirds, hummingbirds, nasty starlings, and red headed woodpeckers. We used to have gold finches and indigo buntings. Blessings to you and your husband. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great assortment! Sometimes I wish I was a bird:)

      Delete
  2. Love all of those pretty birdies! We have lots of birds around our home too and enjoy their songs. I always think of my Great-granddaughter Brooklyn when I hear a bird:) She always says "tweet tweet" when she hears them singing! Enjoy your day ear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cute is she!!!! Wish I had written down all the cute things my grands said when they were little!!!!

      Delete
  3. The birds are the best, aren't they? And you've shown some beauties. I love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed them. Some are just too beautiful for words:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW so many different beautiful birds.
    The pictures are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our world is filled with so many wonders:)

      Delete
  6. I loved all your photos of those wonderful birds. I had no idea there were that many coloring and unusual birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I only posted a very few:) It was hard to pick my favorites because they were all so beautiful!

      Delete
  7. My husband has been a long time admirer of birds and takes great care of them. We have so many here and they are happy, happy every morning and chirp and sing as Tommy sits out on the porch. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea, I tell my DH our birds are more well fed than me!!!

      Delete
  8. That last bird is hilarious!!! Have never heard of that one for certain, but I think he might live in my house. I raised three boys and a husband, if you know what I mean. LOL. Love the birds. We enjoy them so much here. And now we are enjoying many water birds on our pond since we've had so much rain. Every day is a new adventure in birdland! Thank you for sharing your beautiful birds and even the exotic ones with us. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Pamela! I understand. I raised a son...and a husband:) So glad you dropped by and enjoyed the birdies!

      Delete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!