Monday, April 26, 2010

RETIREMENT

Retirement isn't as great as I thought it would be while I was still working.  In 2005 I retired after 31 years of teaching.  The next year I taught half time to help out my principal and since then I have worked part time as a student teacher supervisor for a nearby university and also as a mentor for teachers in our local school system.  I feel very fortunate to have continued to work after retirement as I have found I'm just not the sit-at-home type.  I've decided that I must have some degree of HYPERACTIVITY because I always feel the need to be doing something! 


I really miss teaching a lot but I do NOT miss all the "other stuff" that we teachers have to put up with....too much testing, uncooperative parents, government intervention, children who don't want to follow the rules, etc.  I also don't miss hearing that alarm clock every morning!  But I do miss the relationships I always developed with my students, my fellow teachers and staff members, planning fun and interesting lessons, and getting to know those parents who really wanted their children to have a great education and were willing to help them get it. 

At 60 I still feel young and energetic and  am just not ready to settle down to a life of afternoon naps and early bedtimes.  I hope to continue with my mentoring as I feel my 31 1/2 years of teaching experience can be valuable to the young teachers I work with plus it gives me opportunities to walk down those hallways and still feel a part of the world of education.  After all, I still get teary-eyed when I walk through the door of Wal-Mart at the end of the summer and see all those new school supplies.  There just isn't anything like a new box of Crayola crayons! 


Retirement, like everything else, has its advantages and disadvantages.  I am thankful for the financial security my years of work have given me and I'm thankful for time to live a less hectic life....but I will always miss my teaching and I hope that I will have years to come before I'm ready to sit back and let time just pass me by.   Now....I just need to figure out my next project and get to work! 


Wanted to let you know that if you like vintage items there is a great give-away at
I know Linda would love to have you visit her blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!