Sunday, March 21, 2010

A*T*T*I*T*U*D*E

Attitude....we've all got one!  So what is it?  In a nutshell, attitude is how we react to people and things around us and the things that happen to us.  Charles Swindoll once said that he was convinced that "life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."  Well, if 90% of my life is how I react to it, then attitude must be pretty important!  I can have a tendency to see the cup as half empty instead of half full (a legacy from my mother I think) so a positive attitude is something I work hard on.  I've had some thoughts on attitude that I want to share.


A:  ACTIONS       Our attitude is definitely reflected in our actions.  We tend to be active people in a busy, busy world.  And how we carry out the activities of our lives not only affects us personally but also affects those around us....our family, friends, co-workers, even just the cashier at Wal-Mart or the grocery store.  A positive attitude affects others positively; a negative attitude can do just the opposite.  As Winston Churchill said:  Attitude is a little thing that can make a BIG difference."  A healthy attitude is contagious; everyone is a winner when positive attitudes are shared.

T:  Thankfulness        Dr. Norman V. Peale said that one of the best things you can do for yourself is to wake up each morning and think of all the things you are thankful for.  The more we count our blessings, the better and happier our day will be.....and that will definitely give us a great attitude to begin our day!



T:  Talents         Romans 12:6 tells us: We have different gifts, according to the grace given us.  God has given each of us our own individual, unique talents.  And discovering our talents and using our talents in positive ways that serve our Lord can lead to a more positive attitude toward ourselves. 

I:  Individuality      Each of us is a unique individual that has been crafted by God.  There is no one else like you; there is no one else like me.  I may not like my nose (I really don't!)....I may wish I were a few pounds thinner (I really do!)...I may wish that I could sing or play the piano (wish, wish, wish!)...but I'm ME (warts and all).  And rather than seeling all the negative things about ourselves, we need to look at ourselves as God looks at us...as unique, special individuals.  If we can do that, we will have a wonderful attitude!


T:  Time     How we use our time can HUGELY affect our attitude.  We can squander our time, we can use our time to feel sorry for ourselves, we can complain because we don't have enough time or because we have too much time...there are so many ways we can react to time!  But we need to use our time wisely.  We need to set aside time to spend with our God & our family; we need to set aside time to serve others; and we need to set aside time for OURSELVES.  When we manage our time wisely, we will have less stress and therefore we will have a more positive attitude.

U:  Usefulness      It is part of human nature to want to feel useful, to feel needed.  We see this in young children who want to help mama cook dinner or put clothes in the dryer.  I read an article recently that said that one of the major causes of depression among nursing home residents was that they no longer felt useful.  Another article I read said that the more a person can give to society, the more useful a person can be, the happier they usually are.  So...get out there and help someone!  You'll also be helping yourself be happier!

D:  Devotion & Dedication to God     Do you know what B-I-B-L-E stands for?
Basic  Information  Before  Leaving  Earth!  There is nothing greater we can do for our attitude than to be devoted to God.

E:  Energy & Enthusiasm    A positive attitude gives us energy!  I didn't make that up...it's true!  It's also true that a negative attitude can cause us to be lethargic and depressed.  (Some smart person did some research.)  And if we have a positive attitude, we are much more likely to show it in our enthusiasm for life. 


So...A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E!!!  How's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!