Sunday, August 4, 2019

BEACHING IT






Hubby and I finally went on vacay!!!  And I sure needed it.  We have gone to St. Augustine for many years, but this year we decided to step outside our box and go someplace new…Amelia Island/Fernandina, FL.  It made for a shorter trip of about 2 ½ hours vs over 4 hrs. it took to get to St. Augustine.  And…we really liked it, maybe even better.



Our condo at AMELIA SOUTH CONDOMINIUMS was really nice and spacious with lots of beachy décor.  My only complaint was the size of the bathrooms and the poor lighting in them.  







However, the balcony and its view made up for any inconvenience.  We spent more time there than anywhere else.  The view was beautiful and the sound of the waves was soooooo peaceful and relaxing. 




Of course, we spent some time in the sand and sticking our feet in the surf.  My husband…who used to LOVE riding the waves…has decided if he goes out more than toe-deep there is a shark waiting to devour him!  



I didn’t do something this year that I have ALWAYS done…I didn’t pick up any shells!  Though it was hard for me to resist, I just left them behind for some other shell hunter to discover.  Every year I have brought home shells and then not done anything with them, other than one year when I gave each of my students a shell on the first day of school and asked them to write a story about it😊  
  

I did bring home this shell though...couldn't resist.  I've never seen this done with shells, only rocks.  Our little town went wild with the painted rocks for awhile.  Such a sweet way to spread some cheer in a world that needs more to smile about these days.






But we did see some cute creatures.  This crab was playing hide-and-seek with me for awhile, popping in and out of the hole he was digging.  And this tortoise was really getting around on the beach.  Two different people picked him up and toted him into the grasses on the dunes, but he would just come right back.  At one point he visited hubby and me and just decided to sit awhile under our chair…guess he was seeking some shade…or either he wanted to see if we were sharing some good gossip!



 The Fernandina downtown area is really interesting with lots of cute (and expensive) shops and good places to eat lunch or grab a scoop or two of ice cream. We ate great burgers in an old converted gas station called T-Ray’s.  Just like in old gas stations, the bathrooms were outside and you had to get a key to enter!!!  While we were there we ran into a couple from here that we know.  Seems like no matter where we go we see someone we know…guess that tells me we need to behave!







And, of course, we had to play tourist and take some silly pictures.





We did have a couple days that it rained, but you know what to do at the beach when it rains…right????  You go SHOPPING!!!  My husband is the best ever person to go shopping with.  Yes, lady’s, I am a lucky girl.  We shopped at a very nice store that I think is only in FL…Beall’s.  So excited to find a cute pair of Life Stride shoes on sale for only $18 (regular $60…SCORE!!!)  In GA we have Beall’s Outlets but they aren’t nearly as nice as the parent store.  Hubby also let me shop around in TUESDAY MORNING (swoon, swoon!) while he napped in the car😊

We stayed only a few days but it was so relaxing and I always love having some alone time with my soulmate.  





Unfortunately, we did have some unpleasant excitement when we got home and realized we had left something somewhat valuable in the condo!  I was in a panic, but LONG STORY SHORT…I was able to contact the condo manager and we had some friends who were still in Fernandina who went to the condo and retrieved our item for us.  WHEW!!!  So thankful to all of them for their help.  I was in a major tizzy…and GA girls know how to have rather elaborate tizzies!  I even had to take an anxiety pill.  All’s well that ends well.







On a less happy note, I found out this week that a very close and dear high school friend has brain cancer and her time she says is very limited.  I am heart broken…love her so much, but she has a great attitude about the whole situation.  Also learned this week that my 24-year old niece’s cancer has returned and surgery will be soon.  So if you are a praying person, we would really appreciate any prayers for my friend Joan and my niece Kala.  If you don’t pray, then could you please just send some good vibes.  

 Hope all of you have had time and opportunity for some summer vacation whether at the beach or somewhere else of your choice.  If so, I’d love to hear where you went.  Everybody needs some “away” time…away from the daily grind, the troubles and problems that we all have from time to time, and just time to relax and do only what you want to do when you want to do it!!!!  I love vacations😊







15 comments:

  1. Oh what a fun post and time at the beach is always one of my favorites. We went to Fernandina years ago and loved it there. I enjoy sitting on the balcony with a cup of coffee and listening to the sounds of the ocean. Your view was beautiful. Sorry that you left a valuable behind but what a relief that you were able to get it back. I will pray for your friend, we had a friend's husband recently diagnosed with brain cancer and starts chemo/radiation this week. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee on the balcony overlooking the ocean early in the a.m....now that's a piece of heaven:)

      Delete
  2. Have hear of this area, before. And it certainly sounds delightful!!!!! So happy you had a great time!

    Oh mercy, it has been so long, since my husband and I, have been able to 'get away.' Since his eyesight has deteriorated. And I do not drive on big highways anymore.

    Every Autumn, we went to Cape Cod for a few days. We soooooo loved doing so. But there is no way, to get from here, to Cape Cod, without biggggg highways. -sigh-

    But we do have lovely memories.

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the busy highways! I do so hate the interstates. They scare the willies out of me. I've never been to Cape Cod but would love to go someday. I am hoping hubby and I may begin to travel more before we get to the point where we can't anymore. And big hugs back at you, sweet lady:)

      Delete
  3. I hope this is not against Blogging Etiquette, but.... I admit my eyes are older now. And bigger print, makes it much easier, for me to read blogs.

    Would you consider asking your Dear Readers, if any would love bigger print, here? And if a number of them would, you could consider making your blog print, bigger.....

    Please consider.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that suggestion. In fact, the first time I typed this all up the font was just tiny...so I went back and redid it larger. I agree that sometimes bigger is better:)

      Delete
  4. We had family visit us this year so vacation was more "staycation"..and that's OK with me. Sometimes it's relaxing just enjoying your own backyard! We did make it to Niagara Falls so I guess we did do a little traveling. Your vaca sounded so fun and relaxing! Thanks for sharing and sending prayers for your friend and your niece. I hope all goes well for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the prayers, Yaya. And yes...fun can be had at home (or anywhere) as long as there are family & friends:)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about the sad news you shared, Cheri, but I have to say, I think that makes your vacation time even more important and special. We all need to step away from the craziness every now and then and just be with the special people we love. It sounds like you did just that. And don't you look darling in your tourist pics! How pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. Today has been another day of good news/bad news, but life goes on. So thankful for the time away with my hubby.

      Delete
  7. Oh my....I wanted to go with you!! haha...that view from the condo is amazing and that porch..wow. I would have spent a lot of time there also, maybe with a good book. Looks like a great place to go and stay for a bit. And looks like you had a great time. Good for you. Vacation~ yep, not this yr. Way to much going on for me with my fibro, animals, starting two part time jobs when I did, moms passing, adjusting. Last yr however I took a trip to Panama City and then to La Mesa (San Diego) Calif. Thanks for sharing your trip. Also thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. I am so happy I help make your day with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thanks so much for stopping by. You really have had a LOT going on this past year!!! But from your blog I see you still find a way to have some fun:) I've only been to CA once...to San Francisco for my daughter's surgery, but we did get to do a little sight-seeing. I keep hoping to travel more someday!

      Delete
  8. Love the pics! It looks like you guys had a great time! Such a pretty place to vacation! I love St. Augustine also...so much history there! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I would miss St. Augustine this year, but I really think I like Amelia Island better. Do miss SUNSET GRILL in St. A. though...fabulous ribs!!!

      Delete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!