Friday, August 23, 2019

AN UNWELCOME VISITOR


Earlier this week my husband had gotten up and gone downstairs for coffee and breakfast while I still lounged in bed😊  Well, I was laying there getting ready to bounce out of bed trying to decide to drag myself out of bed when I saw him standing at the door of our bedroom. 


I waved and then he walked around to my side of the bed and sat down.  All the while I was "wondering what in the world?" He usually goes to his part-time (after retirement) job before I get up or either he’s at his desk reading the news and having coffee when I finally wander downstairs.  (Don’t judge me for not fixing his breakfast…he’s a big boy and after a 40 ½ yr. career he thinks I deserve to sleep as long as I want😊  Thank you, my sweet man.)

Oh…sorry, I can get side-tracked….back to the story!

As he sat down he said, “We had a visitor last night.”  I immediately said, “A mouse?”  (I am deathly afraid of those little devils!).  

“No,” he said.   “A squirrel?” I asked.  (We have had squirrels come down the chimney & get in the house before.)  


“No,” he said, “bigger.”  As my mind was conjuring up what was bigger than a squirrel that could have gotten into our house, he shows me this picture on his phone………………get ready!!!!




YES!!!!!!!  A SNAKE!!!!!!!  Thankfully, not a poisonous one…just an oak snake.  I have seen one in the yard from time to time, but that’s a whole different ballgame.  My husband, my hero, had the snake in a paper bag and ready to take to the woods.  He doesn’t believe in killing snakes that are basically harmless. 

This totally freaked me out because at least a few times a week I will wake up in the middle of the night, go downstairs for a drink of water or just to walk around a few minutes to settle me down so I can (hopefully) go back to sleep.  And….I almost never turn on the lights.   We have lots of windows in the kitchen so there’s enough light from the moon and street lights. 

Can you imagine what I would have done if I had been the one to discover our slinky visitor?  What if I had stepped on it????????????????????  


Well, if that had happened someone would probably have been preparing my eulogy.  It will probably be awhile before I wander downstairs during the night!

We have no idea how Mr. Snake got in, but hubby says it could have been through the vent.  Evidently animals like our house…we’ve had an occasional mouse, a few squirrels, a bird or two, and once even a small bat that flew in when the door was opened.  That little sucker could really fly fast!  I sure am thankful for a husband who takes care of all our unusual and unwelcome guests.

In fact, for many years (back when we were young) our little town hosted a yearly RATTLESNAKE ROUNDUP and guess who picked up and weighed each and every rattlesnake!  Yep…that man of mine.  He also hunted for them.  The live rattlesnakes were each milked for their venom which is used to make anti-venom for snake bites. 
Although the roundup was for a good cause and it also brought lots of people and helped our economy, I never really looked forward to it.  But God sometimes watches over people who don’t have enough good sense not to pick up a poisonous snake!!!!


Who says small town life is boring?? You never know who what may come visit you.

17 comments:

  1. OH NO! That would have freaked me out. Yeah to your guy for handling the situation before you got up❤️ Have a great weekend with no critters indoors😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, if I see another one a FOR SALE sign might be in our house's future!

      Delete
  2. HAHA....Snake roundup, that would be something I would not be party to. Although I have to say, I am not really afraid of snakes, or maybe I should say pet snakes, or ones in the yard. However in my house or sticking their head out from the vent under the house, that would be a yes. Yes, I have had one sticking its head out from under the house right at the steps that lead to the porch. I was good once I learned that he was just a rat snake and nothing to worry about. However my son in Calif told me I needed someone to go under the house and get him out.....I live on a creek, been here 26 yrs, thinking he is not the first to move in under the house. Any under there are allowed to live....UNTIL they move into the house!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I don't mind them living outside either...helps with varmint control. Hope any in the future find some nice warm holes to live in....just not my house!!! The roundups really were great and people loved them!!! Very interesting and educational as well.

      Delete
  3. I would have totally flipped out! I hate snakes!!! Sweetwater, TX has a rattlesnake rodeo (roundup) each year and the hubster really wants to go. I don't know that I can handle it! So glad you didn't find the snake! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to go! Our roundup had lots of other parts to it other than snakes but the snake shows are very interesting and educational. I think you'd enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Just enjoyed this post so much, Cheri, I am so afraid of mice, and snakes, like you have a few visit from time to time, and they are so unwelcome. You have a very brave husband.,
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great weekend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd rather meet up with a (nonpoisonous) snake than a mouse in my house!!!!

      Delete
  5. Cheri,
    OMG!!! I would have had a stroke and I would have screamed bloody murder!! I think my husband would be screaming as much as I would be though!!
    The only critter that we ever had in our house was an mouse or two.....
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to laugh when I thought about your husband screaming:) I can assure you that I would be the one screaming if I had found Mr. Snake!!!

      Delete
  6. Well it sounds to me your unwelcome visitor was just looking for the occasional mouse or squirrel. I suppose he was acting as your pest control. I would have freaked if I saw that IN my house. We had a baby rattler who was in our driveway. the husband disposed of it properly and I also ran over a Bull snake (totally harmless) IN my garage as I was pulling in. I didn't see it. Then when I was Cleaning up my raspberry bushes, I found a snake skin and I'm like enough with the snakes already! Good thing your husband is a snake wrangler, that picture of that rattlesnake is amazing. We have them, but I've never seen one that huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't mind an oak snake or rat snake IN THE YARD...and they can have all the mice they can find:) My hubby is VERY proud of that picture...his claim to fame:)

      Delete
  7. Yikes!! Now that was an unexpected tale. I was sure you were going to say raccoon, I never imagined a snake. I don't mind snakes, I'm more creeped out by spiders, but I still would be completely freaked out to find one in the house...especially in the middle of the night! Glad your hero was around to scoop him up and vacate him from the the premises!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not too scared of spiders, although I don't want one on me!!! However, my DIL is a totally different story. She freaks out over even the tiniest spider...and my g'daughter is almost as bad. I really do prefer NO creepy crawlies of any kind in my home!!!

      Delete
  8. I don't mind those garden snakes outside that eat rodents and such but they will never be invited for dinner! Yikes! Glad your hero saved the day and also for being so kind as to set that snake in the grass back to his habitat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to want ALL snakes dead and buried quickly but over time hubby has taught me to appreciate the non-poisonous ones. I really like that they have mice on their menus!!!

      Delete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!