Sunday, January 31, 2021

LIFE IS LIKE A PATCHWOORK QUILT

I am a collector of memories…I have boxes and boxes of memorabilia from my childhood, my high school years, college years, and our marriage.  I do try to be selective and not keep “everything” but I’m sure there are things I keep that many would discard. 

 

There are some things that seem to instantly bring back memories.  Maybe it’s the smell of fresh baked bread or chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven.  Or maybe it’s certain ornaments placed on the Christmas tree or a certain song that we hear.


One thing that instantly brings back many memories from my childhood is the sight of needle and thread.  You see, both my mother and grandmother were very accomplished seamstresses who didn’t go many days without picking up a dress pattern or a button or a basket of scraps and begin to stitch away.  My mother worked full time, but she also sewed for the public to help make ends meet, as well as make just about all hers and my clothes.  She also spent many, many hours making dance costumes for me and other girls in my dance group.  I honestly don’t know how she managed it all because each and every sequin and seed pearl were sewn on by hand!

My grandmother in her latter years mostly sewed quilts.  She made MANY through the years and never once did she use a sewing machine…everything was hand stitched.  I was recently going through some stored-away linens and came across the last quilt I believe my Granny ever made…and it was made especially for me.  It’s what would be called a CRAZY QUILT since there is no real pattern.  Granny wasn’t much on patterned quilts…she just sewed together what she had.  She would use leftover scraps from my mother’s many sewing projects as well as scraps from old clothes.  This quilt is not the prettiest Granny ever made…after all she was in her 90s at the time…but so many patches I recognize and could tell you the stories behind them.

My Sweet Granny

As I was looking at my Crazy Quilt and thinking about my Granny, I couldn’t help but think that life is really a lot like a patchwork quilt.  Each quilt is made up of a kaleidoscope of brightly colored fabric patches sewn together in a special way, just like our life is sewn together with our individual experiences, dreams, and memories.  And just like each patch is a unique part of the whole, each of our lives also has a special place in the scheme of God’s creation.  One patch can’t make a quilt…it takes all the patches together to make something beautiful.  If only all lives could come together in a beautiful pattern….all colors, all patterns, all shapes…working together to make a beautiful quilt of love and kindness.  Oh how beautiful the world would be!

Another memory brought to mind by quilts is also from my childhood.  Since my mother worked, I would often stay with my other grandmother (also called Granny).  She lived in a very old house that was heated with gas space heaters.  Not the best source of heat in the world!  My mother would drop me off early in the morning and on cold days Granny would quickly tuck me into her still unmade bed that she had waiting for me.  She would then smother me in homemade quilts.  Sometimes I could barely move there were so many, but oh how very warm and cozy!  I guess it’s not surprising that whenever I see a quilt I think of Grannies and love.



I’m sure some people still decorate with handmade quilts, but probably not as many as in years past.  Instead we buy lovely bedspreads or comforters that were stitched by a machine in a factory by a worker who probably was only trying to meet a quota.  Those bedcoverings might be beautiful and every stitch might be perfect, but one thing they are lacking…love in every stitch.  Snuggling with a quilt made by your Granny from scraps sometimes precious to come by and knowing that every stitch was painstakingly placed is priceless.  I no longer have my Grannies but I do have their quilts.  In fact, I think I’ll go find one now and snuggle for awhile and let the memories warm my heart and soul.  




 



13 comments:

  1. What a sweet, tender post. Thank you! ❤️đź’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It certainly brought back sweet memories:)

      Delete
  2. My Mom was a wonderful seamstress also! My sister followed in her footsteps with the sewing bug but I just never got into it. Mom made my wedding dress and my sister made the bridesmaid dresses. Mom crocheted my sister's dress! So all the sewing craft talent ended with me! My Grandma made knitted slippers and I have one of her knitted blankets that I cherish. I loved all your memories and you wrote about it so lovingly. How nice to be remembered in that way. As long as we have those memories our ancestors won't be forgotten. Have a wonderful first day of February. It's the shortest month but we usually have the worst weather and with 6in. of snow yesterday and a couple more predicted for today it's starting out in that fashion! Take care and I hope the shot doesn't cause too much trouble. I'm hoping we get ours after Feb. 8th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother also made my wedding gown...although I wasn't thrilled about that at the time. I really wanted a store-bought one:) Wish I could be there to play in your snow. It's cold enough to snow here...supposed to be in the 20s tonight...brrr!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love this post. My granny was a seamstress too. She made so many of our clothes. I remember one year at Easter she wanted to make all the girls in the family matching dresses but different colors for church, including herself. My best friend didn't have a pretty dress to wear so my granny tailored her dress to fit her. MEMORIES...SO sweet and some of my fondest memories are of my Papa and Granny. I have two quilts that my great-grandmother made. I am so afraid they may fall apart if messed with my so they hang on a quilting rack. I really need to see how I could preserve them to be used. Nothing really pretty about them to be honest except knowing that she made them. I hope that you have a wonderful day dear lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet memory of your granny doing that for your friend. My mama made her and me a new dress every Easter. It was always one of my favorite times of year...especially if I got new shoes and a hat...oh and I always wore those little white gloves. Those were the days when little girls dressed so sweetly!!!

      Delete
  4. Handmade quilts, a thing of the past. Women used to make them for their families, to keep them warm and comfy. Now, folks make them but they like to sell them. However, I don't feel you could ever get enough out of the handwork that would go into making one. My sis in law however, makes them. She taught herself a few years back and she just gives them away. She does amazing work. I also have a photographer fan that makes them. I have one on my bed, store bought though. I also have a beautiful one my sis in law made me. She told me when she gave it to me to USE it and not show it. I USE it. My mom was a seamstress. Self taught. Made all my clothes when I was in school and made all my brothers shirts. It was not until later in our lives that she started sewing crafty things. I did NOT get the sewing talent.....AT ALL. My daughter had some of the pretties clothes when she was a toddler, mom made sure of that. I am a keeper, collector, hoarder of memories. Mostly handed down heimloom memories. My mom I think kept everything! I say she was not a hoarder, she was a collector. Everything was in bins, stored on shelves in the basement. I found items that dated back to when her and dad married and traveled some. I found a scrapbook of mine when I moved. It was falling apart. I went through it, took out things (not many) that I wanted to keep and tossed the rest. I am TRYING to get rid of things to make life easier on my kids when I am gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, we are sooo alike! I too am trying to pare down so that my son won't have such a huge headache when we are gone. A few years ago we cleaned out my MIL's home to downsize her and she literally had never thrown anything away. I didn't think we would ever finish! I decided then and there I would NOT do that to our son!!! I've made a good bit of headway but he'll still have a BIG JOB:) Years ago I also took apart my high school and college scrapbooks since they were falling apart anyway. I kept the most special things and threw the rest away. Bought some of those really pretty storage boxes and have one for childhood, one for high school, one for college. Some things you just can't let go of...at least I can't:)

      Delete
  5. OH, I was hoping to see a picture of your Granny's crazy quilt! I am sure it is a treasure trove of memories for you. My husband's grandmother made quilts also, and we have one that she made for us when we got married. Actually, she had made one for each of her grandchildren many years before, but saved it for their marriage. Me, being a young bride and not fully understanding the value of a handmade quilt, I used it a lot and then threw it in the washing machine. Well, the fabric in it was quite old, probably scraps from when her four daughters were little, and many pieces started to fray and come apart from washing. I was so embarrassed and ashamed and hid the quilt for many years so my mother in law wouldn't see it. I think she was hurt that I didn't display it. Finally, after she died I found someone to repair it. Sadly much had to be thrown away, but what was salvageable was made into a lovely lap quilt, which I now can display in my guest room. I hope "Nanny" can see it from heaven and that I've been forgiven for my young foolishness. Thank you for sharing your happy memories...as you can see, they stirred up my own memories. I also save everything from my childhood and marriage, etc. Someday my kids will have to sort it out and probably throw much of it away because they won't understand it all, but I hope they will take their time... Have a blessed and wonderful day. I enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, how wonderful you at least have a lap quilt now...and I feel very sure Nanny has forgiven you:) Like you, I hope my son and grands will take their time going through my things:) I think my granddaughter will even if no one else will. We are very close and I've tried to teach her the value of memories and keepsakes.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Cheri, this post brought so many wonderful memories of my grandmother who was a wonderful seamstress and quilter. I also remember being at her home covered under layers of quilts , so many I could not turn over.
    I love the quotes about quilts and of the analogy of life compared to quilts.
    I will be thinking of you as you snuggle under your granny's quilt, I would love to have one of my granny's quilts.
    Such a delightful post.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. It's sure cold here right now so Granny's quilt feels extra special. So glad this post brought sweet memories to your mind:)

      Delete
  7. Neither of my grandmothers were the quilt-making types but I have a light throw-sized quilt made by my late mother-in-law, that I use every single day. When she gave it to me she knew she was dying. She was 90 years old and had liver cancer. "Something to remember me by," she said. And I do. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!