Friday, December 25, 2020

Christmas Feelings

 

The tree stands lonely without all the packages…the empty boxes stacked along the wall, the pretty ribbons and papers now thrown-away rubbish, the gifts all opened and stored away.  Christmas Day is winding down and only my dear hubby of 50 years and I are left to sit together…the grandkids and their parents home celebrating with their other family. 



 

There are mixed feelings within me.  There is a feeling of satisfaction knowing that our family breakfast went well, even though I feel sure HUDDLE HOUSE would never offer me a job as a short-order cook.  But knowing that I was able to fix favorites for each and every one and that they all left the table sated and happy does warm my soul.  



There is a feeling of relief and thankfulness that all gifts seemed to bring smiles to the faces that I love.  




 

There is a level of tiredness in my body and mind thinking of how much time was spent decorating the whole house (including 4 trees), shopping for just the right gift for each and every person, choosing the wrapping paper and ribbons to cover the surprises and then carefully wrapping each one.  



A feeling of joy that I was able to spend at least part of the day with the 5 people dearest to my heart and hearing their joy at discovering the treasures that had awaited them. 



But there is also a strange feeling in my heart and soul…one I can’t readily identify.  It feels somewhat sad…sad that our church had to cancel our Christmas Eve service (but at least we had it over the radio with all our church family listening in and lighting candles....



sad that the special time of Christmas morning is over for another year, sad that many friends and family members celebrated the day alone or far from their loved ones, sad that I can’t hold onto this day for a little longer.  It also feels like I’ve lost something…in a way.  And I suppose I have…I’ve lost another Christmas, I’ve lost another year (although 2020 is not a year I will be sad to say good-bye to).  I know there are many less Christmases in my future than in my past.  And I am also feeling nostalgic thinking of all the Christmases we have celebrated as a family.



But there is also a great feeling of GRATITUDE.  How very thankful I am that, first of all, God sent His son to be the Savior of our world…and that He let me be born to a mother who made sure that I was raised to be a Christian.  Thankful that I have never strayed from that upbringing. 


My heart is overflowing with thankfulness for my husband, my soul-mate, that I have shared so many wonderful Christmases with…some when our purses were slim and presents were not as plentiful but always more than enough love to make up for the lack of any store-bought goodie…thankfulness for the many memories of my son and daughter (now celebrating Christmas in heaven) waking up with excitement to see what Santa had left for them…and now thankfulness for the memories that are continuing to be made with my grandson and granddaughter who have me wrapped around their fingers (which are no longer so little)…and I love that!


So…as Christmas Day 2020 winds down I will allow my thankfulness and my joy to reign over any sadness or fears or feelings of being exhausted or too nostaligic.  I will soon put my head on my pillow and know that I have been SO VERY VERY BLESSED…and I will thank God for that.  Then tomorrow life will begin again and I will look forward to a new year (hopefully much better than the last) and wait with anticipation for the next Christmas when more memories will be made and more feelings will flow into my heart and soul…and I will savor each one.




25 comments:

  1. Oh dear friend, ME TOO! There are many gifts still to open under my tree. Some were sick, some had been exposed to COVID and some had bad weather/snow. We will celebrate when we can. I am both happy and sad that Christmas is coming to an end but welcome a NEW YEAR. I pray it is a great one, much better that 2020. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you, Theresa. May your family all get to see each other much sooner than later. HUGS to you too:)

      Delete
  2. I completely understand...wishing you and yours a belated Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda...and a Happy & Blessed New Year to you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Actually, our family had a lovely surprise on Christmas Eve. -smile- Which I do a post about, today.

    Happy Day on which "Good King Wenceslas looked out..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went and read the wonderful news! So happy for all of you:)

      Delete
  4. I feel your pain and joy at the same time. I will confess that I used to bemoan the passing of Christmas each year, much more than I do now. I think that was back in the years when we always went to Ohio to celebrate Christmas with my in-laws, and I wasn't in charge of feeding everyone. Now, with so much expense and responsibility for elaborate meals, I enjoy it but am also more than ready for it to be over. I don't know how you decorate four trees! I get the one up but honestly neither putting it up nor taking it down are tasks I look forward to. Speaking of trees coming down ... wow, I love your video! That was exciting. And now for a Happy New Year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so understand, Jenny! It's definitely a mixture of relief and various and asundry other feelings once the holiday is over!!!

      Delete
  5. I know there is always that "let down" after working so hard to get everything just perfect and ready on time, and then it seems to be over so quickly. Like a wedding... But there are the memories of the day and the joy and laughter that lingers in the memories. Focus on the joys of the day and look forward to what's coming next. Praying 2021 will be SO much better for everyone. Frankly, I'm kind of relieved to have Christmas over, although we still are going to meet up with my husband's brother and family at a park 1/2 way between our homes and exchange gifts and eat subway. They feel safer that way, so that's fine. And my sister and her family I don't know when we will get together if we do. We aim for New Year's but not sure it will happen this year, so we will have to figure out something else like meeting at a restaurant sometime 1/2 between. (or a park! LOL). Gotta be creative this year for sure. The important thing to always remember is JESUS...the REASON for our season, and His life goes on for eternity. We will be celebrating with HIM and our beloved loved ones who have preceded us someday forever!!! That gives me great joy in my heart when I contemplate that! Meanwhile, we do the best we can and give God the glory. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every word so very true...and meaningful. Hope you and your various families can get together soon. A year for creativity for sure! Thank you, Pam, for always having such sweet words to say:)

      Delete
  6. It looks like you had a wonderful day and I agree with the feelings of sadness here and there. Jack and I spent the day alone but heard from all the kids and Grandkiddos. It was a hard decision but we felt it was necessary this year. I still felt a wonderful Spirit here in our home and so grateful Jack is doing well and feeling so much better. I hope next year will be different and I'll keep that hope as we say bye to a very stressful and at times sad year. I wish you a very Happy New Year and will look forward to many more blog posts from you! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So wonderful that Jack is doing so much better...even though Christmas had to be different. His health is much more important...and there is always next year:) Happy New Year to you and Jack, Yaya!

      Delete
  7. Oh dear Cheri. Tears of joy and that feeling of days gone by accompanies me too. I am so thankful and grateful for the Christmas season, family and close friends. But very mindful of others that have lost loved ones during the holiday season which seems to be extra hard. Wishing you a very happy New Year dear lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy P.S. I am tired too lady! May we rest a spell and know that our work for our family will become treasured memories one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy, I am definitely resting this Sunday...still have on my pjs at 4:00. Couldn't go to church so just decided to be lazy and do much of nothing. Tomorrow work can begin anew.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cheri, I was touched by my visit here tonight. You decorate several trees too! I know as I get older, I realize that there is nothing as important than my family and that they all know that Jesus is the reason for the season! Praying you can reflect in memories that bring joy. I miss my parents more each year but I know where they are. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment. Happy New Year to you and yours:)

      Delete
  10. Beautifully written, Cheri. I think your words sum up a lot of the feelings many of us have. Belated Christmas greetings and all good wishes for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jeanie. And Happy New Year to you and yours:)

      Delete
  11. I understand the lost feeling....Like you I think about another lost Christmas. Only not really lost, just another one gone by. If you enjoyed time with family and enjoyed some of the Christmas love with them then it is never lost. However, like you, I think about it being yet another one closer till there will be no more for me. Two years ago today my mom had surgery, that was the beginning of the end for her and her last Christmas. I have my kids, my grands and my furs....oh and great friends and I hope I can give what time I have left all of the best.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting older definitely is something we have to deal with...but like you I am so thankful for my many blessings of family and friends (no furs though). Wishing you a very special New Year, Pam.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post and expressed many of our thoughts for sure. Our house was full of choas and noise for 4 days with our daughter and her family here. It was exhausting but, when they were gone, it was a bit sad. Reflecting on memories of the past 50 Christmases that Hubby and I have had bring real joy to my heart. May you be abundantly blessed in the year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lea, and I wish for you and yours the same...a year of many blessings. If only COVID would go away, that would be blessing enough for this year!!!

      Delete
  14. I enjoyed reading your post and seeing your photographs.
    Christmas, indeed 2020, was so different and with Covid so rampant I do not know what 2021 will bring.
    However, I go forward with positivity...

    Sending my good wishes.
    May the New Year bring you peace, good health and happiness.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am "trying" to be positive about the New Year but with so many local cases of Covid, it is difficult. I am praying so hard for a better year for all of us. Thanks so much for dropping by:)

      Delete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!