Sunday, March 15, 2020

IN THE FACE OF THE STORM


If you are like me (and most of America), you have concerns about what is going on all around us.  Not only are we faced with an unknown virus for which there is no vaccine or medicines to cure it; but we are also faced with empty shelves at our local grocery and big box stores, feeling the need & urgency to hunker down and quarantine ourselves and our families, and a lot of fear for what will happen next. 
         
This morning before church I was watching the news on TV (I really need to stop doing that), and they were showing how people were actually fighting and beating each other over toilet paper and bottled water!  One shopper even grabbed a wine bottle, broke it, and then used it to stab another shopper!  Much of the world’s sanity and decency have seemed to go by the wayside.  As I watched what had transpired on the TV, I began to cry and to feel the need to pray; so I sat down at my computer and prayed and typed.  I sometimes write down my prayers because it helps to keep me focused and my mind doesn’t go off on tangents!  I shared this prayer with my Sunday School class, and I thought I would share it with you also.  I know God has got this virus and HE’S GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS, but I have to admit I have moments of fear and anxiety.  I need HIM, I need HIS love and grace, I need HIS calm in the face of the storm.

OUR DEAR HEAVENLY FATHER,

First of all I come to you this morning thanking you for all the many blessings you bestow on us each day, especially your LOVE & GRACE.  But, dear Lord, I also come to you this a.m. with a heavy heart.  Our country, our world is going through a crisis like none most of us have ever seen or even imagined.  We are frightened, we are at times discouraged, we are struggling to stay calm in a chaotic time.  Although we know that you are always in control, some of us struggle with keeping our faith strong, some of us are living in such fear that we may not be making the best decisions….and we need YOU, Lord, to help calm our fears and to guide us through the days & weeks ahead.


I ask God that you will keep us safe, that you will help each of us to do our parts in ending this crisis.  I ask you that we put all selfishness and greed aside and that we remember those around us who may need our help.  Lead us and guide us to do your will through all of this.  Help us to set good examples for our children and grandchildren as we know that how we behave in a crisis may set a precedent for them.  Watch over our older citizens and those with chronic diseases; help us to not take up valuable time and resources that they may need.  Help us to be mindful of all those we live among.

I ask, God, that you bless our country financially.  Knowing that our economy has been and will continue to be hurt by this at least for awhile, we ask that you help us to be good stewards of our monies and our supplies, yet also generous.


I ask that you watch over our doctors, nurses, and health workers; that you will keep them safe and healthy and that you will richly bless them for their sacrifices.  I ask that you bless those who are searching for a vaccine and that you will sustain them with your strength as they work with urgency and without rest.

I ask that you bless our president and all world leaders as they try to figure out what is best for our world.  I ask that you would help all our government officials to put aside their desire to best the other party or their opponents.  Help them to come together to lead our country and to set an example for all of us.

And finally, dear Lord, I ask you to put on each and every heart the desire to help each other, to share with each other, to put aside all thoughts of “self above all else”….help us to look to you for peace, comfort, and grace.  Bless not only our country, but all countries…help us to keep our eyes on YOU, the giver and sustainer of life and all that we have.  Take away our fears and fill our hearts with faith, hope, & love.    AMEN.

May you and your families stay well; may your faith remain strong; may God Bless America and the world.                                                                           
Love,                                                                                                 Cheri                                
                    
                                                                

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your prayer! I just read it beginning to end, AMEN! Scary times right now, but I believe God has the entire world in his hands! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, Theresa. I will continue to pray for all of us:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think (hope) we saw the worst of it over the weekend after that frightening address on Thursday. Stay in and do all the right things and hopefully we will all stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I feel the worst is yet to come. Things usually get worse before better in these types of situations. But hopefully people will do as they are being asked and we can flatten that curve ASAP. I feel we should all start cheering out our windows: FLATTEN THAT CURVE, FLATTEN THAT CURVE, LET'S ALL DO IT TOGETHER, AND FLATTEN THAT CURVE!!!:)

      Delete
  4. Do please stop watching the Doom & Gloom so-called-news!!!!! Check in with your County Public Health Source. Find a couple of trusted/calm sources, for what is really happening. (We use Bill O'Reilly Twitter and Site, and Charles Paine Twitter)

    Use common sense precautions. All should have stocked up on necessary things, for a possible be-inside-stay.. A few weeks ago!!!!

    Stay wise, clam, safe.
    Turn off the 😱screaming😱 sources.
    Listen to your local County Public Health source.

    🍃🌷🌱🌷🍃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the media can certainly paint a scary picture, but at the same time I'm trying to stay informed by checking the CDC site and listening to friends in the medical field. Definitely staying in as much as possible, washing hands, and overseeing grandkids' school assignments when needed! And praying a whole big bunch.

      Delete
  5. Amen and Amen. We need to take a deep breath and stay calm and prayer is the best way I know to do that. This will pass and yes it will be hard for a while. But we can do it. Hope you're doing good and all's well in your corner of the world. Hugs from Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this, Cheri. I wish you nothing but safe and healthy days and kindness...I did see those awful accounts in news, as well. However, I've also seen a lot of kindness, too. I'm hopeful we'll see more in the coming weeks. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello AWOL....I was MIA! HAHA...there are just sometimes that we can't be on here posting or reading and commenting. Life is life and it gives us ups and downs. I am trying to stay in and away from folks, however I did witness a wedding of a couple this morn. Most of the time when I leave the house, I am at the other house...working, cleaning or hauling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen and Amen. A beautiful prayer for these trying times. May God bless us all. I enjoyed visiting with you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming by. Let's continue to pray for each other:)

      Delete
  10. I prayed this prayer as I read it, you covered many important areas needing God's grace and power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my prayer was meaningful to you and others:)

      Delete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!