Friday, March 6, 2020

I WANT TO BE A MARIGOLD...NOT A WALNUT TREE!



 When I began my career as an Early Childhood educator, my principal assigned me a mentor teacher named Jeannette A.  She had already been teaching for a few years…and by the way, she was just a natural born teacher.  Jeannette was my life saver that year…she taught me all the things that I wasn’t taught in a college classroom.  When she breathed in, I breathed in; when she breathed out, I breathed out.  I followed her every move, and I was so very wise to do so.  Even now that we are both “old” and retired, she is still a very, very dear friend.  Jeannette was my MARIGOLD. 




MARIGOLDs are those little flowers in the daisy family that usually have yellow or orange blooms; and did you know if you plant them in your garden alongside your vegetables, those vegetables will grow big and strong and healthy?  They also protect many plants from pesky insects and weeds.  It’s as if the plants are loved & protected by their MARIGOLDs and they respond to that love & protection.

But people can be MARIGOLDs too.  Those MARIGOLDs are the friends that stand by us through thick or thin; the friends who love us warts and all; the friends who encourage us to be our best.

I WANT TO BE A MARIGOLD.


Smart gardeners plant MARIGOLDs alongside their vegetables, but smart gardeners also know you should NOT plant a garden next to a WALNUT TREE.  These trees contain a chemical known as juglone which can “deprive sensitive plants of needed energy for metabolic activity."  The plants can wither and wilt and their growth can be stunted; they can even die.  WALNUT TREEs can be like poison to your garden.



But people can be WALNUT TREEs  too.  Those trees are the “friends”, family members, neighbors, or coworkers who “poison” you with their negativity, their jealousy, their everyone is out to get you or their nothing is ever good enough attitude.  WALNUT TREEs discourage rather than encourage; drag you down instead of lift you up; and want you to be just as unhappy and miserable as they are.

I WANT TO BE A  MARIGOLD...not a WALNUT TREE.


Over the 40 1/2 years I was a teacher, I worked alongside many MARIGOLDs but also a few too many WALNUT TREEs.  The MARIGOLDs loved the kids and their jobs in spite of how hard and tiring it was some days.  The MARIGOLDs encouraged the other teachers around them, they supported each other on good days and bad, they saw the good in every child. I had so many wonderful MARIGOLDs that loved me and taught me to give my all each and every day.  Thank you Jeannette, I. Archer, G. Dunn, D. Davis, Mrs. G., Jean, Debbie, Susan, Bonnie and many others.

Sadly, the WALNUT TREES did nothing without complaining, failed to find any joy in who or what they taught, and tried to drag everyone around them down to their miserable state of being.  I won't name any names.

I WANT TO BE A MARIGOLD...NOT A WALNUT TREE.


I want to encourage others rather than discourage them; I want to help them rather than condemn them for where they have failed; I want to give love to those who feel unloved; I want to lift up rather than tear down; I want to see the good in others and sew seeds of kindness; I want to share smiles with those who have lost theirs; I want to forgive and help others to forgive themselves.

I WANT TO BE A MARIGOLD.

WALNUT TREES ARE POISON. Avoid them whenever you can. If you don’t, they will start to infect you, and soon you’ll hate your life as much as they hate theirs.  Pray for the WALNUT TREES; set an example for them.

Be a MARIGOLD and watch those around you blossom and maybe become a MARIGOLD too. 

So….are you a MARIGOLD or a WALNUT TREE?


20 comments:

  1. I am going to send this to my daughter who is a school teacher. I think she is a marigold like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....thank you. I hope your daughter is as passionate about teaching as I was. I miss it so much!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Cheri- I want to be a Marigold, too. I have worked with both kinds--marigolds and walnut trees. lol I think sometimes I worked with more walnut trees than marigolds. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I totally understand!!!! Those "walnut tree teachers" could make me mad enough to spit! I would always tell the student teachers that I supervised to stay faaarrr away from those who tried to drag you down with them!

      Delete
  3. Oh what a wonderful post and I want to be a Marigold too! Sadly there are plenty of walnut trees in my family, gotta look out for those nuts:) Thanks for sharing this! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I grew up with a walnut tree and I have to be very careful that I don't turn into one!

      Delete
  4. Great post!!!!

    Have not heard of marigolds thought of in this way. Or Walnut Trees.

    But everyone knows some 'Walnut Tree' people. The ones, under a little black cloud, which they pass over you, when you talk to them. And etc.

    And if we are lucky, we know 'Marigolds.' Who do all the opposite to little black cloud stuff.

    Gentle hugs
    🌸😊🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. We all should learn to lift each other up...what a happier place the world would be!

      Delete
  5. OH my Cheri! This is such an awesome post, I too want to be a marigold, my daughter came by as I was reading this I told her how awesome it was, she read it, she loved it too!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you. I am so glad I got to cause you to smile today:)

      Delete
  6. Great analogy! I knew quite a few walnut trees when I was teaching - the marigolds were more fun to be around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that. Marigolds can bring so much joy into our lives but walnut trees can sure bring us down if we aren't careful!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love this and am going to share it with my daughter who is in her 17th year of teaching and is definitely a Marigold. She is so passionate about teaching, loves her students and seeing them succeed. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lea. If she is YOUR daughter I feel sure she is a MARIGOLD:) So glad (and thankful) that she is passionate about her teaching. So many these days have lost their love for it and it breaks my heart. I loved teaching and miss it every day!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.
    I enjoyed reading about the marigolds and walnut trees.
    I sure hope I'm a marigold!! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I don't know you, from reading your blog I'd say you were definitely a MARIGOLD:) Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  9. Ah...yes, the walnuts at work. I remember them well. I've know quite a few of both, in the classroom and out, but I hope that I have been a marigold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every classroom deserves a MARIGOLD...and I am sure you were one:)

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!