Monday, July 15, 2019

GRANDMOTHER CENTRAL: Installment #2


A while back I wrote a post titled GRANDMOTHER CENTRAL and explained that I was going to share some activities that I had done with my two “grandloves” when they were younger.  I know several friends who are always looking for some new fun things to entertain their grandkids just as I often did.  I would literally scour the internet or books for hours!  You can go HERE and read about our BUBBLING BLOWING fun, but today I will share our “wormy adventure” with EDIBLE DIRT…sounds fun, doesn’t it?  It was!

Here’s our recipe (one serving per child)

 vanilla cookies (crumbled)
 chocolate cookies (crumbled)
miniature marshmallows, M&Ms, a gummy worm
1 clear cup


And here are the directions:

Place the marshmallows in bottom of cup; this is the "parent material".

Add the vanilla cookie crumbs; this is the subsoil.  Then add the chocolate crumbs; this is the topsoil.  Arrange the M&Ms on top to represent the organic matter in the soil.  Finally add the gummy worm; this is the decomposer.



We also read the MAGIC SCHOOLBUS: INSIDE THE EARTH, then went outside and dug up the real thing…earthworms!  It was like finding buried treasure and they loved how the worms would wiggle in their hands. 
can be ordered from AMAZON 

Of course, we then went back inside, washed the “real dirt” from our hands and then chowed down on our EDIBLE SOIL.



As a retired primary teacher with a lot of years of experience, I encourage all parents and grandparents to integrate good literature with fun activities.  The more we can read to them, the greater the chance they will be life-long learners!

My grands are now too old (so they think) for these types of activities, and I sure do miss all the fun we had.  


But I love watching them grow and change, and pray each and every day for their futures and hope they will always remember all the things their CHERI did to make their childhoods be filled with wonder, excitement, learning…and, of course FUN!





16 comments:

  1. I'm sure they will remember. And what gorgeous "grands" you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. They are my heart & soul:)

      Delete
  2. I remember the sweet times with my own grandmothers and aunts and all the wonderful things we did together. I know your grandkids will have the same happy memories as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both my grandmothers were shut-ins and I never really got to do anything fun with them, so I'm making memories that both my grandkids and I can enjoy:)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my....don't those grands grow up so fast. They change daily. How sweet is your time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!!! Seems like only yesterday I was holding tiny infants in my arms! Thank goodness both of them still love to give big hugs:)

      Delete
  5. I know! They grow up too fast and I miss those times with the little ones:( I am enjoying my GREAT-Granddaughter now. SO happy to be able to relive lots of fun times from my memories with her. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine a GREAT grand, but I sure do hope I'm around to see a few:)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are so cute! I love your edible dirt. :-) The grands are adorable and I'm so glad you are having fun with them! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Grandkids sure make the world a better place:)

      Delete
  8. They may feel too old for these activities but I know the memories of sharing this with you will be with them always. You're a good Grandma! They are sure cute kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lady~ thanks for stopping at the blog today and leaving such a meaningful and sweet comment. Sometimes on those days I get nothing done I feel like I live through others....TODAY being one. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sooo identify with what you are saying, Pam:) Thanks for coming by for a chat!

      Delete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!