Wednesday, July 4, 2018

MY NECK of the WOODS



I’ve been going 90-to-nothing lately…makes me wonder how I ever had time to work!!!  


Since April 17th I’ve been going to the gym and “sweating” my heart out!  I decided it was time to slim down and shape up a little.  I started out by going to SILVER SNEAKERS classes (which were taught by some great trainers and attended by some very sweet ladies). However, I could see right away these classes (although very good for you) were not going to help me meet my goals, so…..I upped my daily walks (3 ½ to 4 miles per day) and started working out on the machines.  AND….I am happy to say I’m down several pounds and several inches, but still a work-in-progress!  


By the way, some health insurance, including mine, will pay for you to go to Silver Sneakers classes or join the gym and workout!!!  Just one of the perks of getting older😊

It’s the time of year when hubby and I put up fresh vegetables in the freezer, which is not a hard task but not exactly easy and very time consuming.  So last week he and I put up 4 bushes of peas and butterbeans and this week I put up 4 more bushels all by my lonesome.  Some of these were for my son and his family.   It’s not cheap to put up your own vegetables but they sure are better than those you buy in a can at the supermarket!


I’ve also spent time keeping the grandkids and taking them here and there.  Grandson R is 15 and since we live in GA he has to complete a course called JOSHUA’s LAW before he can get his driver’s license next year.  It can be taken online, but let me tell you….it is grueling!!!  R comes over to my house to work on it an hour or so here and there so that I can help answer any questions he might have.  I know it’s a good thing but it’s written by someone who (in my opinion) is writing way above the heads of the 15 year olds that have to take it.  It’s 30 hours of difficult reading and includes tests over what has been read.  Sure hope my smart boy can remember all of it for the final quiz, but I’m not sure I could!



Granddaughter M spends about 2 days a week with me and the rest with her teenage sitter.  She is a total mess and can talk the horns off a billy goat, so she keeps me entertained.  She told me recently, “Cheri, I’m trying to be a better Christian.”  My heart went to my throat and I just melted.  She also told me yesterday that she is praying for our little friend ASHLYNN (see the post about her here) every day.  My granddaughter has such a sweet heart!



Today is the 4th of JULY and we are experiencing some rain showers.  Hope they will be gone by tonight when we will attend our community FIREWORKS SHOW.  We will be grilling steaks and making homemade peach ice cream before we go (recipe below).

I spent some time this a.m. thanking God for all those who serve or have served to enable us to have our freedom, and I also prayed that God will lead our country to a time of peace among our citizens.  Our country is too great to be divided by those who will not accept differences in each other.  Have a blessed day, everyone….and GOD BLESS AMERICA.

HOPE ALL OF YOU ARE HAVING A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY WITH FAMILY AND/OR FRIENDS

This is my husband's grandmother's recipe & has been used in our family hundreds of times...enjoy!

Homemade GA Peach Ice Cream

1.  With mixer, mix together:
                       4 large eggs
                       2-3 cups sugar (depending on sweetness of peaches)
                    *mix until it looks like thickened cake batter, then add
                       1 can sweetened condensed milk
                       2 large cans evaporated milk
                    *mix well
2.  Blend enough peaches to have a blender full of pureed peaches (maybe even a little more)
3.  Add peaches to custard mixture and mix well.
4.  Pour into ice cream churn and process.
5.  Before eating:  forget about how many calories per serving!!!
                                                  
                                                   ENJOY
                   







9 comments:

  1. That peach ice cream sure sounds good!!!! I love that you have some hands on time with your grandkids. That is always a good thing no matter what you are doing (or not getting done)...lol

    Congrats on the weigh loss and working out. That is a wonderful commitment. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana. It has NOT been easy to slim down....so easy to put on, so hard to take off!!! And, yes, time with the grandkids is the best!!!

      Delete
  2. My work insurance doesn't have the silver sneakers program but next year Jack and I will go to Part B and get a plan that includes that. I'm looking for to it! We can use the YMCA or another fitness place here. Good for you for taking your health seriously and making it a priority..it's our best asset! That peach icecream recipe looks amazing and it's much like my late Mother-in-laws...and she was a Southern Gal too! Enjoy this day and be safe! Your Grandkiddos are really adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YaYa, Silver Sn. is a great program! And thanks for the compliment about my grandkids. They are my heart:)

      Delete
  3. A lot of folks here go to a Silver Sneakers class and their insurance pay for it. I just stick to my elliptical here at our house and hope that's good enough. I should probably do some strength training too. Cute grans and it is crazy at some of the things folks expect these kiddos to know and learn. Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elliptical is part of my workout at the gym....whew it can be hard some days!!! I think one of the main things is to strengthen our core. I'm finding out that it is really important at "our age".

      Delete
  4. Way to go Cheri! I need to do the same! That peach ice cream sounds yummy. I hope you saved me some:). Enjoy your day dear friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! just saw your blog name on YaYa's blog and it immediately drew me in. I'm a YaYa to my 6 grandchildren and my blog title is Chatter too!!! Also retired from teaching.
    Can't wait to read more of your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm off right now to try and find your blog:) Us retired teachers need to stick together!!!

      Delete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!