Sunday, March 25, 2012

This and That


I sometimes wonder how I ever managed to do all that I did when I was a young wife, mother, and teacher.  How in the world did I run a household, care for my children, have time for my husband, work full time as a teacher, run errands, buy groceries, teach summer Bible School and GAs at our church, and for two years work on obtaining my Master's Degree...among many other responsibilities?????  Just thinking about it makes me want to sit down and take a long rest!




I thought surely when we had our empty nest and I retired there would be time to sit back, relax, watch a little TV, and eat Bon-Bons.  Wow!  Was I wrong?  I am still working, although part-time (which sure doesn't always seem like "part" time), still taking care of a household and all that that entails, taking time for my husband, and now looking after grandkids.  But I'm grateful for I'd be miserable with nothing to do and the Bon-Bons would go straight to my….well, they would make me gain unneeded and unwanted weight!  Yes, I've been busy, busy, busy and so yet again have neglected my blog.  So here are just a few things I've been up to lately….



The CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL


some of my best friends from high school (we call ourselves THE VALLEY GIRLS) and I recently spent a day in Macon, GA enjoying the beautiful cherry trees as well as many beautiful azaleas and historic homes.  We also visited an absolutely gorgeous and awe-inspiring Catholic church plus had our picture made with a camel!  We are a group with many interests…and we always have so much fun together.


SPRINGTIME & GARDENING


it's been springtime here for awhile, or so it has seemed.  And, of course, with spring comes gardening and yard work.  Hubby and I spent this weekend working on a project that is still a work in progress.


As you can see, we have a ways to go.  We plan to sod some grass between the stepping stones and we're waiting for the sand to settle in between the octagonal stones under the fountain.  We also have another tree in our plans, so I'll have to post "completed" photos later.  I wish I had my grandmother's GREEN THUMB but the best I can do is stick it in the dirt and pray that it grows!  We love our big yard and enjoy sharing it with those who pass by.





The GRANDKIDS

keeping these two entertained is not always the easiest job that I have.  Recently one of my student teachers shared the idea of EDIBLE DIRT with me and so, of course, I had to try it with the grands.  The recipe:

          vanilla cookies (crumbled)
          chocolate cookies (crumbled)
          miniature marshmallows, M&Ms, a gummy worm
          1 clear cup

Place the marshmallows in bottom of cup; this is the "parent material".

Add the vanilla cookie crumbs; this is the subsoil.  Then add the chocolate crumbs; this is the topsoil.  Arrange the M&Ms on top to represent the organic matter in the soil.  Finally add the gummy worm; this is the decomposer.

We read a MAGIC SCHOOLBUS book to go with our project...and we also went outside and dug up earthworms and other creepy crawlies. 

 But the part they liked best was…eating the "dirt."



So…I realize that life is full and busy no matter which decade you're in.  And I hope it will continue to be that way as I work my way toward new adventures in the years to come.

14 comments:

  1. Oh... I missed our Cherry Blossom Festival near my house! I know you all had the best of times! It is always SO much fun to share a day with friends!

    The little ones are precious! I know what you mean about time:) I worked for 30 years EARLY to LATE, long commute and now that I am retired, where does the day go?

    BIG HUGS to you my friend! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can see why you're busy! Your yard is beautiful. So are those Grandkiddos! What a great idea with the "dirt" project. I love the fountain area. It's given me an idea for my deck area. I have a spot that we pulled some bushes out of at the corner of my deck and it needs something..something like a fountain would be great! We already have a dogwood tree and some hostas there so a fountain would look and sound good. I can see you have a table and chairs near your fountain area so I bet you'll have a nice spot to sit and enjoy the flowing water! Keep us posted on the yard projects and thanks for letting us have a virtual walk through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was the Cherry Blossom Festival? I was dying to go down for it but couldn't fit it in over the weekend.

    Keeping the kids entertained is a big job and you are a GREAT granny to be so engaged with them.

    Honestly, there are not enough hours in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute post!! I loved it. Who in the world would have thought of something like that! Maketh me SMILE!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheri! Fabulous post! Loved all the photos, too, especially your chicken flower pot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheri,
    Boy would I ever love to go to a cherry blossom festival! And your yard is so lovely and the grand-kids very cute too!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello
    Cheri's Chatter
    Brilliant post, I went through the post ,I found it very informative
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I frequently have that "how did I do that?" thought. Having the grandsons for a couple days nearly kills me now.

    Your gardening is amazing! Could you stop by and work on mine a bit? It has so far to go! :)

    The trip with girlfriends sounds like great fun. Hang on to them - friendships seem to slip away so easily when life gets busy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a delightful post. I loved seeing your darling grandbabies.
    Sounds like a wonderful trip to see the Cherry blossoms. Isn't it the greatest to keep up with old friends.
    I just mentioned to some one the other day I am busier now than when I worked two jobs. lol
    Love your yard
    Have a wonderful week
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your lament sounds a tad like mine written today. And I too am trying to catch up outside and inside, except I have no grandkids or kids.

    We've spent most of last 2 month doing interior remodeling. Spring here is more like summer with temps already in high 80s and low 90s. Very unusual.

    As I write I am watching my beloved Texas being pummeled with rain, hail and multiple tornadoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'Ain't it the truth sister!!! I thought when I retired from the classroom I'd have all this time to sit on the deck sippin' tea, readin' a good book and watchin' the birds frolic.

    I swear, I had more 'free' time when the kiddos were small, I was teachin', and helpin' out 'round the Ponderosa. Something is very wrong with this picture!!!

    God bless your busy life sweetie and have a terrific day!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh...by the way...the pictures are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool that you get to use all of your time creativity the way that you want.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful is that Cherry Blossom Festival and those precious grands!!!

    Your pictures are marvelous!

    God bless and have yourself a glorious week sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!