Monday, March 6, 2023

HIT or MISS???

 

Seems like everything from gas to groceries to toilet paper is going up in price!  I went to Wal-Mart today and spent almost $200 and didn’t even have a full buggy!  My checkbook is still squealing!!!  I don’t know about you, but I am trying to watch every penny these days.  I am also trying to spend my money wisely, but sometimes what you hoped would be a great buy turns out to be a dud


I thought I’d share a few recent purchases with you and let you know if I think they were a HIT or a MISS!

Let’s talk make-up.  I have used many foundations over the years, but still trying to find the perfect one for “aging skin” (you know, the skin you start getting when you turn 40 and know the clock ain’t a gonna turn back!)  I am not one to spend mega bucks on make-up but recently I decided to splurge on this…

 


 I paid $44…yikes!  I was hoping for the Holy Grail but it wasn’t.  I had a “consultant” at Belk to choose the color for me, but I’m not convinced she chose the right one.  The stuff has some good qualities like SPF 25 and Hyaluronic Acid (which I understand is a good thing); full-coverage matte finish.  But the price!!!  For that alone, I give it 7 out of 10.

I had heard a lot of hype on youtube about this Wet n Wild Photo Focus foundation, so decided to try it and WOW!!!


Comparing the color I got (which I chose on my own) with the Clinique I can barely tell a difference.  I can’t tell the difference in the feel or the coverage and…(drum roll please)…it was only $4.99 at Walgreens!  I’m not wild about the wand thingie but you can also put it on your finger or right onto a brush or sponge.  I don’t think it has SPF…so overall I give it 8 out of 10.

If God ever told me I could have a one-thing DO-OVER, I’d say MY HAIR!  Ever since I first became pregnant (over 50 years ago now), all the body and natural curl in my hair went on vacation and never came back!  It is now very fine and limp and there’s not a lot of it.  I have tried a bazillion different products for VOLUME…and I’m still looking and I’m willing to pay whatever price.  But for now I am using and liking these by Pantene:


I paid about $6 each at Wal-Mart and give them a 7 out of 10.  If you have any FABULOUS volumizing products, PLEASE let me know.

Now here is another splurge...way too expensive for my "frugal" ways...but I absolutely love them...SNS Dip Nails!!!

They really began as a necessity a few months ago...seriously!  My nails (which have always been weak pitiful) began to break and peel something terrible.  My sister suggested SNS which doesn't damage your nails like gel nails but give your nails a chance to strength and grow...and they have!  I have never had nails this long or this pretty.  They cost $50 plus tip (ouch!), and although some ladies get them every 2 to 3 weeks I try to go at least a month (or more!)  If they weren't so expensive I'd give them 10/10, but due to price I'll give 9/10.  (Word of advice:  get a good nail technician who knows what he/she is doing and be sure to have them "soak" the old polish off, not file it off!)

I kept hearing about this next product on youtube and seeing it in magazines.  It had 4/5 stars on Wal-Mart site and 4.5/5 on Amazon.
   
 

Well, I wasn’t impressed.  It’s a pink paste that you apply with a dry cloth, buff in, then rinse with hot water.  I tried it on my worst cleaning job…our shower.  It did clean the shower (but so do a lot of other products although not great), but it took A LOT of paste and a LOT of ELBOW GREASE.  Have you used THE PINK STUFF?  If so, do you like it?  I paid right at $6 at Wal-Mart and give it a 7 out of 10…too much hard work!!!

And this was even worse...

Again, it took a lot of product and it didn’t completely erase the hard water stains in my toilet bowl.  In fact, it stained the porcelain until I scrubbed and scrubbed it away!  I paid about $6 and give it a 2 out of 10!


Here are a few other products that get my GOOD HOUSEKEEPING Cheri's Seal of Approval:

This makes baking homemade biscuits sooo much easier and faster.  Be sure it’s FORMULA L.  9 out of 10...only because I still have to go through the biscuit-making process, although it's much easier.



This is great for a quick weekend meal.  My hubby loves it!  I bake a couple chicken fingers, shred them, and add in the pan after the pasta cooks.  Yummy and cheap! And sooo easy!  10 out of 10...whoop! whoop!

These are the last…I promise!


Of course, I’m gonna love me some LIPTON GEORGIA PEACH TEA…after all I’m a GEORGIA PEACH myself😊  I still make homemade sweet tea, but this is really good.    10/10

 

And I just discovered PINEAPPLE FANTA.  It was recommended to me at the gastro dr.’s office…told me to mix it with my upcoming colonoscopy prep…I know, TMI!!!  They told me it makes the yucky stuff go down much easier.  We shall see!!!  But for now it tastes good on it’s own!    9 out of 10…only because I can’t let it beat out GA tea!!!

 

So…have you tried any of these products?  Or what new products have you tried, and were they a HIT or a MISS? 

 

Wishing you many more HITS than MISSES!
















7 comments:

  1. I have used Clinique makeup for years. It is pricey and I will sure give the cheaper wet and wild a try. I keep the pasta in the pantry. We have it occasionally and the great grandbabies love it when they visit. Thanks for your reviews. Enjoy your day dear friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why Blogger is not letting me comment as usual!!!! I'm getting frustrated!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your reviews and I also enjoy hearing what other think of products. I too am frugal and thrifty and Lord knows with the times getting worse we better be. But, I had a grandmother that taught me well. In all honesty, depends on what the object is and what I really have found to be tried and true for what I will pay and won't pay. I've heard great things about the makeup Clinique. But, I have always enjoyed using Loreal foundation. Happy March to you dear lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the scores. I love the Wet and Wild foundation. I was not crazy about the wand either at first but it's not really a biggie on that. I like this makeup and I have paid more for others that were not as good....not near as much as you did, haha, but what can I say. lol....I try to watch my money but these days that is getting harder and harder to do esp being retired and the only one bringing in money. The girls (fur babes) don't do anything to help out! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed when I read about that Fanta drink. I work a lot in the endoscopy lab and I'll have to suggest that brand to our Doc although I've never seen this in our Walmart. Maybe it's a Georgia thing! Working in surgery we can't have long nails, nail polish, or fake nails. After scrubbing my hands 10-15 times a day at work it has taken a toll on my hands. I know what you mean about prices. I can hardly get out of Aldi with less than 90-100$!! I don't wear foundation. Just a little blush and eye make up. Again, working in surgery it would just come off on my mask! (During Covid I didn't wear blush either!) Have a good week Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using Clinique for years, but I use a Cover Girl foundation when I wear it. However, for $4.99 I'm going to try Wet and Wild!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just remembered a good thing for getting out hard water stains in the toilet. We have well water and it is hard on the sinks and such. It's a scouring stick that you use on the stain. They sell them at Home Depot in the cleaning section. I'm sure a worker there will know exactly where to find it. Works great!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!