Friday, July 2, 2021

WHAT A SOUTHERN GAL KNOWS...OR SHOULD KNOW!

I’m from the DEEP SOUTH...and proud of it.  TV and movies sometimes portray us Southern folk as unsophisticated rednecks or mountain hillbillies, yet some of the smartest, most talented, most interesting, and most notorious people in this U.S. of A. hail from the SOUTH...just take a gander at this website:  100 SOUTHERNERS

 

Us Southern ladies are often thought to be shallow and have a bigger chest size than the size of our brains.  But truth be told, Southern gals are some of the sweetest and politest women you will ever meet...cause our mamas would have nothing less and they knew where the best "switch bushes" were!  



We “sweet thangs” that live in the Dixieland know a few things that we have learned from our female ancestors through the generations that I thought I’d share with you.  Now you don’t have to agree with any or all of these, but I guarantee you that if you survey 100 of us you’ll find a very high percentage will say:  Yessireebob...they are the gospel truth!

 


THINGS SOUTHERN GIRLS KNOW:

 

*PEARLS should be a staple in every lady’s wardrobe.  It would be nice to have the “real thing”, but a nice, respectable string of fake ones is forgiveable.


*Other wardrobe “must haves” include a classic white shirt/blouse, something gingham, and a nice pair of white pants.  High quality will allow you to wear these classics for years, but if they can’t be afforded, thrift and consignment stores can be an option. (Note: many of us Southern fashionistas haven't yet bought into the idea of wearing white pants or shoes all year long...some habits are hard to break!)

 

*MONOGRAMS are considered a “Southern thang” and a few items (purse, handbag, suitcase) are definitely fun, BUT!!!!  Everything you own doesn’t have to have your initials splayed across the front...make that “shouldn’t have"!  (No matter what Southern gal Reese says.)


*Every Southern cook (and there are many of us good ones) must have a nice DEVILED EGG DISH.  You simply can’t have a decent picnic, family reunion, or church homecoming meal without deviled eggs...and displaying them in a sectioned egg dish just adds to their deliciousness.



*And speaking of a tea pitcher...ALL us Southerners know summertime means SWEET TEA (with real sugar)...or a tall glass of homemade lemonade can work if you don't have the tea.

               Note:  drinking either from a Mason Jar is just fine!


*An intelligent Southern lady knows that when you aren’t sure of exactly the right thing to say in any given situation, you simply say,
Well, bless your heart.”  Who doesn’t want their hearts to be blessed???


*Any respectable Southern lady does NOT wear “white” to a wedding unless she is the BRIDE.  This is a definite NO-NO...and if you forget, believe me, you will figure it out when everyone is giving you the evil eye.


*A well-brought up Southern child, especially of the female persuasion, will have lovely manners.  "Yes mam, No mam, Yes sir, No sir, please and thank you" are some of the first words expected to be uttered by Southern infants.


*Southern folk love God, family, and country...in that order.  And when a Southerner is your true friend, you couldn’t be more blessed.


*And just one more (pet peeve here)...just because we are born in the SOUTH and might be of the Caucasian race, does NOT mean we feel privileged and does NOT mean we have no respect for anyone that is different.  (Some of my neighbors and dearest friends have different color skin from me, but I know we all bleed red!)


There’s lots more I could add, but I won’t go on and on...which we Southerners can do...oh, how we love to carry on a good conversation.  (In other words, a lot of us can talk the horns off a billy goat!)


Now for those of you who are from the North, please know that there are things just as special about y’all...but since I have never lived up North I can’t rightly attest to what they all are.  However, something I do know is that God made us all and that makes us all pretty special. 

 

And for those of you from the South, as I said earlier...you might not agree with everything I’ve said but you gotta admit some of these made you smile:)   Bless your hearts!



17 comments:

  1. I love this post dearly!!!!!!!!!!

    I am happy to have Net-Met lovely Southern women. And my life is richer, for so doing.

    Oh gingham! How I loved gingham, and never thought of looking for it again!!! I even love the name of it. !!!!

    Deviled Eggs, of course!

    And so love the manners of a Southern person. "Yes, Mam, No Sir...

    Have not had Sweet Tea, more's the pity.

    And more and more and more!

    Love ya' Lady!!!

    Just wish you would post more!!!!!! Little posts, now and then, what's going on in a day, or what you were thinking, on a day, or....... More posts please!

    Happy 4th of July

    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag
    of the United States of America,
    and to the..."

    ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH for such a lovely comment. Oh you must try sweet tea...so refreshing in the hot summer. My way: place 2 family size tea bags in about 4 cups of water in small pan; heat on high till almost boiling. Do not boil. Cover; let steep about 5 min. Pour into pitcher...while hot add about a cup of sugar (or to taste). Fill pitcher rest of the way up with water. Pour over ice and enjoy!!! I have been busy yet unmotivated lately...dealing with some health issues and one thing or another:) I do hope to post more though. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. As a GRITS - girl raised in the South - I love all the things you mentioned and can identify. Still don't have pearls, but that's okay. LUV sweet tea but now do it with stevia! Have lived out of the South for almost 50 years and miss many of the things named. Understandably, my accent causes people to sometimes think I'm not as smart as them - and when I return to the South, my friends think I've lost my Southern accent! Ha, ha! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by to chat:) I don't have the "real" thing in pearls but do have my "pretend" ones!!! I know what you mean about your accent...went to NY once for a week and people asked me to talk just so they could hear the accent. I love being a GRITS but sure don't like the summer heat a whole bunch. BLESS YOUR HEART for coming by to visit:)

      Delete
  3. Are you talking about me:) YES, Pearls are worn by me, I love white shirt and pants, sweet tea pitcher, deviled egg dish and so many more. "Bless your heart", I say that a lot:) We are all wonderfully made, LOVE THIS!
    Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We GRITS have to stick together, don't we? Thanks so much for dropping by. I had dropped out of the blogging world for a bit...so much going on. But I hope to be back reading and posting more soon. Love you...and BLESS YOUR HEART!

      Delete
  4. Happy 4th of July!

    Thank you for considering more posts, short ones will do. -smile-

    We all are dealing with this or that health problems, at our age. I don't share a lot of them either. But there is always something else, to do a wee post about. And it might just raise our spirits... -smile-

    I pledge allegiance to the Flag
    of the United States of America,
    and to the......
    ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love these and I might add, "Most Southern women wear black to funerals." That's on my mind as we've had way more than our share of them lately and I'm so glad I have several black outfits and dresses. This was Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lea. And, yes, I tend to wear black to funerals...just seems appropriate. So sorry you have had to attend so many recently. That was the way it was for me last year...it seemed like it was almost weekly. so sad and depressing.
      5=

      Delete
  6. WOW...someone got you going! Love it. However, I must not be southern enough cause I can't go with some of those things. I own fake pearls that I never wear. I have a sweet tea pitcher and a deviled egg platter. I do not wear white shirts or checks! I tend to drop and spill if I wear a white shirt. I do however own white pants and shorts! I was totally left out in the big breast area also but the brain is pretty good, and I know how to say and I do use the Bless your Heart!!! haha. I am polite and I have manners. I guess being born in Calif put stop to some of my southern quality. Although, I have been in TN since I was about four. Great post....and let say, I did not live a white privileged life. My dad worked, mom stayed home, dad drank and we only got gifts on bday and Christmas. I had maybe two pairs of shoes and my mom sewed my clothes.....I did live in a nice area, nice house but we worked hard in the yard and we were expected to all be here on grass cutting day. When I got older, I bought my own clothes with money I made babysitting or cutting yards. And later on when I went to work, I bought my own car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, our earlier years have a lot in common! I have never been "privileged" in my life...worked 40 1/2 years to earn a living...even longer if you count summer jobs. Sounds like you are plenty Southern to me...BLESS YOUR HEART:)

      Delete
  7. It's not a proper celebratory meal without the deviled eggs ... that's for sure. And this southern girl has a deviled egg plate AND a deviled egg carrier! And more than one sweet tea pitcher. I do not, however, monogram anything. Haahahaha pirate ... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about the deviled eggs!

      Delete
  8. You described my dear Mother-in-law perfectly..may she rest in peace. She made the BEST lemonade and sweet tea and her specialty was her amazing potato salad. She was such a good cook and this Northern gal had a hard time when I married her eldest son! No match back then but I think I have come a long way in the 47yrs we've been married! I make a pretty mean fried green tomato! She loved to sit and "Yak" as she would say, with folks. She would stop by the house and we'd have lovely, long talks. I learned so much about gardening, canning, and life from her. I miss her as you can tell. She grew up in Florida and I always loved to tease her about the way she said "oil". She had a welcome y'all sign at the front door. I think I would enjoy some cold lemonade and some time to sit and yak with you! It would bring back many good memories! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. July 20, 2021

    Hello!!!!

    Anything going on around here?

    Can we expect a little post, soon?

    Hmmmm?

    Hmmmm?

    Hmmmmm?

    -smile-

    Gentle hugs,
    ✨🌸✨🌸✨

    ReplyDelete
  11. Checking in on you. Not been hearing from you so I wanted to see how things are going.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!