Sunday, May 6, 2018

INTERNATIONAL BEREAVED MOTHER'S DAY



I learned something new today…something that both warms and saddens my heart at the same time.  Today is INTERNATIONAL BEREAVED MOTHER’S DAY.  Evidently it has been recognized each year since 2010 the Sunday before the long-standing national Mother’s Day, but I only learned of it today when my cousin posted about it on facebook. It warms my heart because I understand that the “real” Mother’s Day can be very difficult for the mothers who have lost a child and the mothers who have miscarried and perhaps this day can be a day when these mothers can be remembered.  It saddens me because in 1986 I became an unwilling member of the club of bereaved mothers, and even after all these years Mother’s Day is difficult for me.  It is a day of both joy and sadness…joy for the blessings of my son and my two grandchildren; sadness because I still miss our sweet daughter that we lost at the age of nine.



Today we placed flowers in the church in memory of our darling Mandy.  Had I known what today was, I would also have dedicated the flowers to all the other mothers who are members of the club that none of us wanted to join. 

So…if you know a mother who has lost a child, give her an extra hug, an extra smile today and lift up a prayer for her.  We would very much appreciate it.


*If you’d like to read more about INTERNATIONAL BEREAVED MOTHER’S DAY, here is a link:

8 comments:

  1. Did not know there was such a day, era interesting. Thanks for dropping by my blog, it’s always fun to meet a new blogger. Happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's so hard and my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...and thank you for stopping by:)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad I found your blog again! I'm so sorry you have had that heartache of losing a child. My sister lost her youngest son when he was 18 and our family has never been the same. Having a special day like this is wonderful. Hugs and prayers to you and to all those who have had such a loss. I miscarried my last pregnancy and even though it's not the same as other losses, I still wonder how our family would have been if we had that last child that was so loved even before they were born. Take care Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for both your sister's loss and yours. Losing a child is (to me) the ultimate loss, the worst pain. But as a Christian I know I have the assurance of seeing my sweet daughter again. Thanks for coming by for a visit.

      Delete
  4. I did not know that either, thank you for sharing. Those flowers are beautiful and I know that everyone enjoyed them. So sorry that you lost your Daughter:(
    Sending you a big 'ole hug and prayers this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop and "chat" with me...I love hearing what you have to say!